VS2010 - SQL Server

Question

• After having created tables and records in the SQL server Express thru C# in VS 2010, I want to create the diagram, ie. create the relations between the tables, but I am not allowed to do that. I get the message that the database doesn't have a valid dbo user. Asked if I want to become the dbo user, and saying yes to this, I just get another error message.

I used to do exactly the same thing with VS 2008/SQL Server express 2005, and there was no problem. Are there any new restrictions in VS2010 Express relative to SQL Server Express, or are there settings I should be aware of? I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would eliminate functionality in VS 2010 that was there in VS2008...

Any help or experience shared on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Visual Studio Express does not work with Database Diagram Designer. For more information, please check MSDN document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8czxd086.aspx

Best Regards,
    Nancy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Crowland68 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:44 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Hi Nancy,

thx for your input. I can't figure whether this means that I can't establish a FK between tables in the db designer?

If that's true, it would pretty much make the DB useless in a C# contect, or is there another way to create the relations between the tables outside the diagram designer??

Thx in advance for any guidance on this.

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for misunderstanding you.

-> I get the message that the database doesn't have a valid dbo user.

This error message is not thrown by Visual Studio, it is thrown by SQL Server. Please check if it is in your case: valid dbo user. So I highly suggest you posting in SQL Server forum with link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver

Best Regards,
    Nancy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Install SQL Server Management Studio Express, you should select your platform architecture from the "Management Tools" section. Then you can use the designer from Management Studio Express. You can read more about how to use Management Studio here. Good luck!

-Scosby

• Marked as answer by Crowland68 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:02 PM
  • thanks for that. I am struggling to install it, but I'm sure it will work eventually. Thanks! Thanks also to Nancy.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:46 PM