Direct Play of .WTV .DVR-MS Files in Plex

Question

• On behalf of the Plex Windows App Developers

I would like to confirm that it is the lack of support from Windows Media Foundation, as they suggest, which prevents these files from being direct played on a Windows 8.1 machine with Windows Media Centre

Or if I can supply the developers with a solution

Even if the container was an issue I would expect the video and audio to be able to direct stream at a minimum

Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:32 AM

All replies

• MoDementia, do you have a development question about writing your own app? This forum is for developers to discuss writing their own apps. We cannot help reverse engineer or explain 3rd party apps.

Questions about using Plex need to be directed to Plex.

That said, see Supported audio and video formats for the in-box codec and container support. Other codecs and containers can be supported either via a custom MFT or a MediaStreamSource. There may also be DRM concerns if the files are protected

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:51 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for he reply.

This sort of confirms what the Plex Developers told me when they responded to my question.

Their answer seemed to suggest that they wouldn't be willing to develop a "custom MFT or a MediaStreamSource. There may also be DRM concerns if the files are protected."

So if they won't do this I was hoping to pursue my own application which would accommodate the requirements of other Windows Media Centre users.

My first and main question would be: Why aren't .wtv .dvr-ms included in the supported audio and video formats when they have been integral to WMC users for so many years? Restricting access to such formats, given the lack of development/inclusion in Windows 10 perhaps how are developers supposed to produce applications which can in part replace WMC and usable y a wider audience?

Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:07 AM
  • dvr-ms Video is encoded using the MPEG-2 that has been removed from Windows 8.1 as default. MS tried to save MPEG-2 patent fee for regular Windows 8. This fragmented Windows 8 and make it less attractive. Hope not happen in Window 10. 

Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:59 AM