none
Visual Studio 2017

Question

• Following on from a disastrous experience with VS2017RC, I have now reinstalled VS2017 to try and get even a basic MVC core new Project working - but that still fails. The project builds but when I run it, it just terminates and closes down IIS express.

• Edited by Geeee Saturday, April 01, 2017 10:05 AM
    Saturday, April 01, 2017 9:59 AM

All replies

• Have you tried creating a new Windows profile to see if your current profile is corrupted?I have installed VS2017 Express on my two machines and I don't have any problems creating web applications  or APPS using C#.

Sunday, April 02, 2017 8:26 PM
  • Hi Geeee,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please have a look at the thread which may have the similar issue with you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42186361/vs-2017-always-times-out-debugging-an-mvc-core-website-on-iis-express-profile

You could do the following fix:

• Turn off Browser Link; or
    • Use a browser other than Chrome as the startup browser.

It wasn't until I selected Microsoft Edge as the browser in the debug button of the toolbar and it worked fine that I realised what it might be, and I disabled Browser Link. It all starts up fine now.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 03, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Remember , this is 5th installation I have done - pure VS 2017 on a windows 10 machine, no other projects, no extensions.

Its all the .net Core stuff that is broken. Legacy .Net projects work fine. A simple .Net Core web application returns a HTTP Error 502.5 - Process Failure. This is using IE not Chrome. 

I think the reply of the previous user EN59CVH saying that VS2017 is working fine for him is a bit naive. Just because it works on some scenarios doesn't mean it works in all.

When a fresh install cant even run up a basic web application, it cant be a user issue. Its the IDE. VS2015 works fine. 

Sunday, April 09, 2017 9:49 AM
  • This is a bit of a strange comment coming from Microsoft Support. Am I in the wrong forum?

First off, I am using VS2017 Proffesional, not express. Just because VS2017 express works on your machines, doesn't mean there is no issue with VS2017. If you care to simulate the issue, you can do a fresh install of VS2017 on windows 10 with the latest updates. Then we can discuss further. 

Sunday, April 09, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Please go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right-click on the following and do a repair:

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86)
    • Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64)

and then check if there is any update for visual studio 2017. Opening a new asp.net core project to see if the issue persists, you couldl change port number for the project if this doesn't working.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 10, 2017 8:57 AM
  • I have re-installed the sdk and runtime MULTIPLE times - probably in the region of 20 times, so I have the latest C++  redistributable(x64).

I have run up at least 30+ new c# core web projects. ( each with a new port generated ), so it not a port issue.

I have re-installed VS2017 about 10 times as well, so there is no chance of me not having the latest of everything.

• Edited by Geeee Monday, April 10, 2017 9:07 AM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Joyce

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:26 AM
  • Hi Geeee,

>>A simple .Net Core web application returns a HTTP Error 502.5 - Process Failure. This is using IE not Chrome. 

So you use the latest VS2017 RTM version, and the default ASP.NET core still has this issue in your side, am I right?

Based on the error messages, could you check your web.config file?

Reference:

https://github.com/aspnet/Hosting/issues/844

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41590493/iis-fails-to-run-asp-net-core-site-http-error-502-5

Other members met this error for the ASP.NET core apps which are related to the path %LAUNCHER_PATH%, so if possible, you could check your project.json, web.config, and maybe you could find more useful information there.

If still no help, please check your Windows Event viewer and get more information.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Firstly , there is no web config and secondly, in 2017 new core web projects, there is no project.json. It has been replaced by the csproj xml file.

Both the links above assume an IIS deployment. I thought I was clear that this is the most basic aspnet core web app running on IIS express. 

There is no useful information from Windows Event Viewer. Removing the faulty browser link package allows a very basic web project to at least start, but as soon as a controller is accessed, more errors are thrown because of incompatible packages.

I have installed the latest updates yesterday (15.1) to Visual Studio but the basic aspnet core web  template is still broken. 

I would have thought that the aspnet core MVC web template would be one of the most used templates and yet VS2017 is still being shipped with broken templates. Astounding.

• Edited by Geeee Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:53 AM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:46 AM