I'm developing within a VM, can I still use Android and iOS emulators with Visual Studio 2015? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a number of VMware Workstation virtual machines for development to have an individual, stable environment at the ready for each of my clients.

In the introduction to mobile development with Visual Studio 2015 I read a lot about Hyper-V. I can't utilize Hyper-V from within my VMs.

Can I still use any of the emulators?

Still people out there alive using the keyboard?

Working with SQL Server/Visual Studio/Office/Windows and their poor keyboard support they seem extinct...

• Edited by BetterToday Saturday, February 21, 2015 12:38 AM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 12:35 AM

Answers

• You're very welcome - so the simple fact is - you need to have a build host running OSX to create iPhone / iPad apps.  This is because XCode is required for the build process which only runs on Mac OS.

You can basically do everything else on a Windows PC. (Windows, WinPhone, Android, etc). 

If you need to target iOS I'd recommend picking up Mac mini - its the cheapest way to get into iOS development.  It is possible to run OSX in a VM but its not officially supported and I'm sure violates all kinds of apple's usage policies.

Beyond that, just install the Windows Phone SDK and Xamarin, which will install all of the required pieces.  For Cordova, I 'think' you need to install the Android Dev tools separately but its pretty straight forward.

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Monday, February 23, 2015 12:03 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 4:10 AM

All replies

• You can enable Hyper-V within some VMs.  If you're running Parallels or VMWare Fusion on Mac, both of these support enabling Hyper-V.  I'm sure it's possible with other systems/configurations.

If you use 3rd party Android emulators you don't need Hyper-V.  Genymotion and the Xamarin Android Player both work (better) without it.  Or you can install the Intel HAXM drivers to accelerate the Google provided Android Virtual Devices.

Currently there aren't any iOS simulators that you can use for development that run within Windows.  Even if you're using Xamarin through Visual studio for iOS development, the iOS simulators are stilling on the Mac build host.  The build and the deployment are just 'kicked-off' from Visual Studio. 

btw - I love that idea of setting up individual build environments for each client - cool!
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:39 AM
  • Thank you for enlightening me!

I'm new to mobile development, so my question may have been a bit naive. But I couldn't find any prerequisite information on MSDN regarding mobile development.

OK, let's imagine the following situation: I only have a number of Windows desktop machines here, no Mac, no tablet, no smartphones. So what do you believe I would additionally need to get into generic mobile development (Xamarin/Cordova)?

PS: Thank you :) .. Yes, it is such a great relief indeed to have distinct VM environments for each client. In a VM one just doesn't have any side effects from having different versions of software installed to the same machine. A large company I'm working for still utilizes Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005. Working in a VM I can easily develop/test/deploy within their environment, while at the same time I'm now testing Visual Studio 2015 Preview in another VM. Not to mention the ease of utilizing VM snapshots, allowing me to safely test new 3rd party tools or installation options and then undo within a snap.

Still people out there alive using the keyboard?

Working with SQL Server/Office/Windows and their poor keyboard support they seem extinct...

• Edited by BetterToday Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:09 PM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:08 PM
  • You're very welcome - so the simple fact is - you need to have a build host running OSX to create iPhone / iPad apps.  This is because XCode is required for the build process which only runs on Mac OS.

You can basically do everything else on a Windows PC. (Windows, WinPhone, Android, etc). 

If you need to target iOS I'd recommend picking up Mac mini - its the cheapest way to get into iOS development.  It is possible to run OSX in a VM but its not officially supported and I'm sure violates all kinds of apple's usage policies.

Beyond that, just install the Windows Phone SDK and Xamarin, which will install all of the required pieces.  For Cordova, I 'think' you need to install the Android Dev tools separately but its pretty straight forward.

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Monday, February 23, 2015 12:03 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 4:10 AM