none
Can we say that ADO.NET EF Code First is Microsoft NoSQL answer RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to search something about Microsoft No SQL I see usually only MongoDB.

But when I look at ADO.NET EF Code first where

- at first we have C# code

- database uses only as data storage

- mostly all logic is written on C#

I have a question why we can't say that

ADO.NET EF Code first = NoSQL Microsoft answer. What NoSql advantage it hasn't yet.

My .NET Blog with projects and feedback.

Since May 30, 2014 I am waiting for Microsoft fix these 2 bug. If you know how to speed them up, please help

• Edited by SmartWhy Monday, July 28, 2014 8:23 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi. I don't think the comparison works. NoSQL refers to database engines which take a document based approach (and also maybe relational as well). Entity Framework is an ORM (object-relational mapper) that sits on top of ADO.NET.

• Marked as answer by SmartWhy Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:48 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hi. I don't think the comparison works. NoSQL refers to database engines which take a document based approach (and also maybe relational as well). Entity Framework is an ORM (object-relational mapper) that sits on top of ADO.NET.

• Marked as answer by SmartWhy Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:48 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 10:35 AM
  • I made next conclusion for myself.

- For developer there are no large difference, because you can work with database only using C# without any database knowledge.

- But in real life when you work with serios DB project and you have SQL Server where data stored in tables, it is important to know SQL because it can help you improve queries.

For example you write something on C# and using profiler see SQL result.

- Another task is writing SQL Jobs which can be done only on SQL as I can understand.

My .NET Blog with projects and feedback.

Since May 30, 2014 I am waiting for Microsoft fix these 2 bug. If you know how to speed them up, please help

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:48 AM