What architecture/tech should i use? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1643391774 posted

Hi forum,

i am completly new to Microsoft Azure. I want to build a distributed enterprise application and host it on Azure. From what i've learned you should better develop n-tier applications, to better scale your application. So what i want to build is :

- a web application, but with focus on mobile views, because the web application will be primarily consumed by smartphones

- a backend for persisting data

- a desktop application that interacts with the backend

What i've imagined is to use following technologies/components:

- ASP.NET MVC 5 for the web frontend

- a secure Web API service that implements all the logic

- a SQL database to persist all data

- a WPF application that interacts with the Web Api service (probably with client certificate authentication)

Do you think this is a good architecture? To let the WPF application communicate with the backend i will need the Web Api service in any way. But i am not sure if this pattern also matches the ASP.NET MVC application. If i would develop an on-premise solution i would let the ASP.NET MVC application communicate with the Web Api service. But i am not sure if this is also needed/correct when hosting on Azure, because Azure is scaling for me behind the scene?!

Next question is if i can use the the normal Visual Studio web templates to create the application on my dev machine  and then later host it on Azure or must i use the Cloud templates? And what cloud templates do i need for my application? What's the difference between a cloud service, an Azure mobile service and an Azure mobile App?

Thanks in advace!

regards,

xxxdevxxx

Sunday, November 29, 2015 9:46 AM

All replies

• User-646145796 posted

Hi,

Based on your description, you want to create a web application for the web frontend, It is a good choice to develop a backend web application in the same project, and manage access control via Azure active directory, refer to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/active-directory/ for more information about Azure active directory.

>> What's the difference between a cloud service, an Azure mobile service and an Azure mobile App?

Azure Mobile Apps gives you additional advantages over Mobile Services. However, Mobile Apps is currently in Preview and is not yet recommended for production use. SDK and API contracts are subject to change within minor version releases. For production apps, consider Mobile Services instead. Azure cloud service has more control than Mobile service, such as the ability to remote into your server or configure server startup tasks, Azure Cloud Services is typically the best option.

Best Regards,

Jambor

Monday, November 30, 2015 4:28 AM