How to upgrade Visual Studio 2010 EDMX update extension to Visual Studio 2013 version RRS feed

• Question

• We recently upgraded to Visual Studio 2013 and discovered that Visual Studio add-ins were deprecated, and that we should likely be using VSPackages going forward (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms228754.aspx ).

The only add-in we want to upgrade is one that "fixes" our EDMX files to have standardized names.  This add-in used IModelGenerationExtension to perform some easy renames, but we can no longer find this interface.  We were formerly using v4.0.30319 of Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Extensibility.

Are there any examples of how to do this?  Even if we could find the interface, we are unsure how to bind the events in the new paradigm.

Thanks for any help!

Monday, November 25, 2013 8:27 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the detailed reply above.  Because of the holiday, I only recently came back to this issue.  Your information helped us locate the version of the Extensibility namespace we are using now.

I unmarked it as the answer, though, because the other area of the problem was how to get the model extension to be invoked in one of the new add-ins.  I had created an add-in and followed many of the same links you mentioned above, but I was not able to get the model extension to work.

Finally, I found this link:  http://sleepcanwait.blogspot.com/2012/06/ef-entity-name-scrubbing-part-1.html .  It gives good details on how to create a VSIX project, which included the library we needed.  This allowed everything to be called at the right time, and now our model extension is working like it previously did.

Thanks for the help!

• Marked as answer by Tommy Noel Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Tommy,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>This add-in used IModelGenerationExtension to perform some easy renames, but we can no longer find this interface.  We were formerly using v4.0.30319 of Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Extensibility.

Have you installed NuGet for Visual Studio 2013?

Because the latest version of Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Extensibility Namespace is available as the 'Entity Framework' NuGet package. For more information, see Entity Framework Releases and Versioning.

You could try to run Visual Studio 2013 as administrator and then install the NuGet Package Manager for Visual Studio 2013 .

>>Are there any examples of how to do this?  Even if we could find the interface, we are unsure how to bind the events in the new paradigm.

Have you checked the sample in How to: Convert an Add-in to a VSPackage

Do you mean that you need to know how to bind the events in  IModelGenerationExtension Interface to VSPackage?

I think you could try to add reference to the VSPackage.

Please refer to the following links:

Walkthrough: Creating a VSPackage (Part 1 of 4)

Walkthrough: Extending Managed VSPackages By Using Automation

How to: Add References to the EnvDTE, EnvDTE80, and EnvDTE90 Namespaces .

If I have any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jane.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Jane Wang - MSFT Tuesday, December 3, 2013 3:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tommy Noel Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Thank you for the detailed reply above.  Because of the holiday, I only recently came back to this issue.  Your information helped us locate the version of the Extensibility namespace we are using now.

I unmarked it as the answer, though, because the other area of the problem was how to get the model extension to be invoked in one of the new add-ins.  I had created an add-in and followed many of the same links you mentioned above, but I was not able to get the model extension to work.

Finally, I found this link:  http://sleepcanwait.blogspot.com/2012/06/ef-entity-name-scrubbing-part-1.html .  It gives good details on how to create a VSIX project, which included the library we needed.  This allowed everything to be called at the right time, and now our model extension is working like it previously did.

Thanks for the help!

• Marked as answer by Tommy Noel Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi Tommy,

Thanks for your kind feedback and sharing the truly practical solution with us here.

All of us are appreciating the contribution you made to this forum.

Best Regards,

Jane.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:45 AM