Any Dev Story for Metro and VBScript?

Question

• Well somebody had to ask...

Please, no catcalls, just a concise civil answer if possible.

Arguably the best prepared group of developers for scripted Metro apps might be those who have been writing HTAs for a decade.  Yet I think it is safe to say that perhaps 99% of HTAs ever written and regularly used are written in VBScript, not the old JScript.

Have these developers been left in the dust with Metro, orphaned if you will?  I realize that Microsoft has done a lot of things to improve JavaScript in the IE platform over the past several releases whle VBScript has largely been ignored and just kept on life support.  The "PowerShell" activity was probably a good excuse for this.

Can we just get a simple answer, yes or no?  Can VBScript be used to create Metro applications along with HTML5 and CSS?

If answered elsewhere already a link would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:48 PM

Answers

• We've announced no support for VBScript as a supported language for building Metro style apps. If you'd like to report this as a feature request, you can do so on UserVoice, which gives others the ability to vote on your request:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Bob Riemersma Monday, October 10, 2011 3:32 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:08 PM

All replies

• It's certainly not enabled in the developer preview bits and they wont tell us about the future so I suppose you can always keep the dream alive for now... who knows, we may even get VB6 and J# support! 
    Robert Levy
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Well my worry is that many of the extended (WinRT) APIs and data structures for scripting were either implemented as things embedded in the new JavaScript engine or designed to be over-reliant on JavaScript notions of what an object is.  Such a short-sighted move would mean supporting VBScript would require additional work.

VB6 would be extremely unlikely because the tools would require a tremendous amount of work along with a WinRT-based runtime.  VBScript works just fine even with Win8/IE10 though, at least in terms of HTAs.  I assume MSHTA is not carrying the baggage of a second DOM and rendering engine - though I could be entirely wrong in that assumption.

I'll have to give this a few days.  Perhaps we'll get an authoritative answer on the state of things in Win8 DP, though I agree that tooling seems crfitical here due to platform requirements such as code signing and I never expected 1st class support in VS I guess.

To make a Metro Appx Package from scratch, you must first... looks interesting though.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:09 PM
  • We've announced no support for VBScript as a supported language for building Metro style apps. If you'd like to report this as a feature request, you can do so on UserVoice, which gives others the ability to vote on your request:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Bob Riemersma Monday, October 10, 2011 3:32 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Thank you for the answer Chris.  I suspected as much of course after going through the Preview materials and Build presentations.

Why this should be a Visual Studio question perplexes me though.  WinRT is supposed to be a Windows feature.  Ah well.

Monday, October 10, 2011 3:36 PM