none
Broken feature of calling Bing Maps from Edge/Cortana - Notice it for months and sent feedback quite sometime ago RRS feed

• Question

• 1. When right-mouse click on an highlighted address in Microsoft Edge browser, there is the 'Ask Cortana' selection in the dropdown box.

2. Selected 'Ask Cortana', the following sidebar is shown on the right of the Edge.

3. Click on the 'Map' opened up 'Maps' App, but there were no Tiles.

4. This has been the same behavior past 6-8 months, I wonder why it has not been reported at all. My take is that if it has not been working, you should remove the clickable map in Cortana. I understand Bing Maps may not own this call within Cortana, but it is inside the App which is owned by Maps team.

5. By the way, I just refreshed my desktop with the 'Creators Update'. Upon further testing, I believe it might have been the problem inside Maps app. It seems like Bing Maps is dead and useless, sadly. Well, 'au revoir' them......

Thanks

Khin Zaw

Friday, June 16, 2017 9:05 PM

Answers

• This is the first time i've heard of this issue and never reproduces this before. There were a handful of situations here the map app never loaded any tiles but that should happen every time you use the app and was limited to less than 0.001% of users. The most common cause is network/firewall issues. The creators update had some fixes in it for this which were unrelaylted to bing maps. Not sure of your last comment if everything is working now. Note that the maps app in windows is not the primary way users use bing maps. Majority use the website.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:06 AM
  • Also worth noting that Maps app in windows didn't start using bing maps until the creators update.

Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:22 AM

All replies

• This is the first time i've heard of this issue and never reproduces this before. There were a handful of situations here the map app never loaded any tiles but that should happen every time you use the app and was limited to less than 0.001% of users. The most common cause is network/firewall issues. The creators update had some fixes in it for this which were unrelaylted to bing maps. Not sure of your last comment if everything is working now. Note that the maps app in windows is not the primary way users use bing maps. Majority use the website.

Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:06 AM
  • Also worth noting that Maps app in windows didn't start using bing maps until the creators update.

Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:22 AM