User interface for my.visualstudio.com RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of months ago I noticed that when I logged into msdn.microsoft.com the above message appeared:

"Your subscription has been migrated to a new portal. Continue to access the same great benefits by visiting at my.visualstudio.com"

Having an open mind I decided to give it a try and to my surprise the clean and no-nonsense msdn site which I have used for years, was replaced with a UI which, in my opinion, is far more work to use and less pleasant at that. As an example, clicking on DOWNLOADS brings up a page which has a huge amount of white space and what seems like endless scrolling. Or click on PRODUCT KEYS and you will also see the same. In contrast the MSDN site makes efficient use of screen real estate, has clean navigation, nice use of borders, separating lines and grey text background between product categories, nice big buttons to 'GET A KEY' and so on.

I do understand that Microsoft is trying to make the UIs consistent across all services and products as well as trying to make it easy to use with touch interfaces, but this is just,,, I dunno,,, I guess kludgy is the word I'd like to use (although I don't want to sound impertinent).

At my organization we use the MSDN, VISUALSTUDIO and AZURE websites on a daily basis to get our work done, and we do so using desktops and laptops - not tablets, not phablets and not certainly not phones. We also routinely interact with clients who use the same and just the other day I was speaking with one of them who mentioned this 'annoying trend at Microsoft'. Specifically they were citing that the old AZURE website was much easier to use before the UI updates, but that now it's just a 'pain in the neck' to navigate. They also said that their experience with AWS' website was much cleaner and easier, and simply uses links without all the fancy touch stuff or attempts to 'blend' all the webpage elements and controls. While AZURE  certainly employs a different UI than my.visualstudio.com, it exhibits the same problems and invokes the same user perceptions.

I don't know who at Microsoft to speak with about this, or if anyone there is fighting for us developers, but we really do need to address this issue sooner than later. In almost seems like the marketing group driving the UI design, but the fact is that the design needs to come from developers who actually understand and use the product. This is not outlook.com or other consumer facing service, this is a service for backend techs and developers who know what they need and are not interested in 'pretty'. We are interested in functional.

Anyhow thank you for your time and I truly the above concern is taken seriously and routed to someone who can actually force the issue to be examined in a sincere and open-minded manner.

(Oh and by the way, the above is coming from a person(me) - one of the few people who really liked the Windows 8.1 interface - actually I prefer it to Win 10. So I am open to change).

Tom

Monday, November 14, 2016 9:50 PM

All replies

• A couple of months ago I noticed that when I logged into msdn.microsoft.com the above message appeared:

"Your subscription has been migrated to a new portal. Continue to access the same great benefits by visiting at my.visualstudio.com"

Having an open mind I decided to give it a try and to my surprise the clean and no-nonsense msdn site which I have used for years, was replaced with a UI which, in my opinion, is far more work to use and less pleasant at that. As an example, clicking on DOWNLOADS brings up a page which has a huge amount of white space and what seems like endless scrolling. Or click on PRODUCT KEYS and you will also see the same. In contrast the MSDN site makes efficient use of screen real estate, has clean navigation, nice use of borders, separating lines and grey text background between product categories, nice big buttons to 'GET A KEY' and so on.

I do understand that Microsoft is trying to make the UIs consistent across all services and products as well as trying to make it easy to use with touch interfaces, but this is just,,, I dunno,,, I guess kludgy is the word I'd like to use (although I don't want to sound impertinent).

At my organization we use the MSDN, VISUALSTUDIO and AZURE websites on a daily basis to get our work done, and we do so using desktops and laptops - not tablets, not phablets and not certainly not phones. We also routinely interact with clients who use the same and just the other day I was speaking with one of them who mentioned this 'annoying trend at Microsoft'. Specifically they were citing that the old AZURE website was much easier to use before the UI updates, but that now it's just a 'pain in the neck' to navigate. They also said that their experience with AWS' website was much cleaner and easier, and simply uses links without all the fancy touch stuff or attempts to 'blend' all the webpage elements and controls. While AZURE  certainly employs a different UI than my.visualstudio.com, it exhibits the same problems and invokes the same user perceptions.

I don't know who at Microsoft to speak with about this, or if anyone there is fighting for us developers, but we really do need to address this issue sooner than later. In almost seems like the marketing group driving the UI design, but the fact is that the design needs to come from developers who actually understand and use the product. This is not outlook.com or other consumer facing service, this is a service for backend techs and developers who know what they need and are not interested in 'pretty'. We are interested in functional.

Anyhow thank you for your time and I truly the above concern is taken seriously and routed to someone who can actually force the issue to be examined in a sincere and open-minded manner.

(Oh and by the way, the above is coming from a person(me) - one of the few people who really liked the Windows 8.1 interface - actually I prefer it to Win 10. So I am open to change).

Tom

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your feedback.

The new Visual Studio Subscription portal is still under migration and it is not completed yet, you can expect more changes in the upcoming days. 

I will forward your concern to the respective team. You can also do that from the following link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/support/support-overview-vs

Thanks,
    prathaprabhu

Microsoft Partner, Most Valuable Professional (MVP) and Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC)

Monday, November 14, 2016 11:29 PM