none
OUTAGE: 60 minute update interval for a global outage is absolutely unacceptable

Question

• Does anyone at MSFT actually read the forums?  Keep in mind, this is the _only_ way for many of us to reach out to you at all.  About a half hour ago, the only status message was: "It has not been determined if this is customer impacting."  REALLY?  No one noticed all of the customer posts on here?  And you'll provide updates in 60 minutes for _global_ outage?  Does anyone else find this absolutely unacceptable?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:54 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Are you still seeing this issue? At this point, the service should be almost entirely restored . If you are still facing issues, I would recommend you create a new MSDN thread so we can jump on it quickly.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 21, 2014 6:14 AM

All replies

• Yep, I knew the lack of support would be an issue sooner or later. I am impressed with Office 365 support but when it comes to Azure (the platform that Office 365 runs on) is a complete flop.

Now I'm left fidgeting my thumbs while our branch offices are unable to work!

• Edited by itmanager1 Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:59 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:59 AM
  • i completely agree. with azure we should get at least a 60 min call credit to get in contact with azure tech support.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:09 AM
  • I agree 100% with a much as the service costs but what happens at the end of the 60 minutes and you are in the middle of an issue- would they advise that you need to purchase a support package to continue?! I can see this upsetting customers even more. There's no perfect solution other than to beef up the team and absorb the costs in the Subscription costs like is done with Office 365.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:16 AM
  • Now their status page says "All Good!" - no explanation, previous statuses just gone.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:22 AM
  • This is a joke. All of my services are still down.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:25 AM
  • Wow, sketchy. Nothing even mentioned in the service health history. All services are still down. Maybe the dashboard needed to be restored from a backup because it ran in Azure. :)

Edit: VM's are currently going between Running and Retrieving Status but if I refresh the management portal they all revert back to Retrieving Status. Keeps on getting my hopes up!

• Edited by itmanager1 Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:27 AM
  • I just opened an amazon webservice account as we speak
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:29 AM
  • OK - the portal now says that _all_ services are back up, and yet _nothing_ is working for me.  With no indication of what on earth is going on...
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:32 AM
  • This is really bad.  It would be nice to get at least some kind of acknowledgement and information from Microsoft.  The outage is unacceptable and damaging to our business.  The complete lack of information on what's going on is salt in the wounds.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:43 AM
  • Couldn't agree more.

How long it took to initially update the status page in the first place? Unacceptable.

The fact that it continually said "not sure if this is actually customer impacting"? Unacceptable.

Offering to provide an update in 60 minutes? Unacceptable.

The shenanigans being played with the status page where the outage history was removed and everything was all green until about 5 minutes ago? Unacceptable.

Microsoft -- if you care about you customers, you need to take this a bit more seriously.  Many of us have built business atop your infrastructure and the actions that you've taken above don't breed a whole lot of trust that you have a handle on this.  With an incident of this magnitude, don't you feel that some sort of formal acknowledgement of the severity of the situation, with an ETA to its resolution might be appropriate?  How about a blog post from ScottGu?  An e-mail to all affected customers?  Leaving us to refresh a status page that isn't even accurate and speculating on these forums really cannot be the answer.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:51 AM
  • Yeah this is unbelievable. I just upgraded to paid support hoping for some sort of answer, but Im not getting anything. My VM services went down at 7 CST tonight. 
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:01 AM
  • oooh boy.  I'm composing a sincere apology letter to a few thousand of my very upset customers right now.  What do I even tell them?  Sorry, all of your school websites were down for several hours today because the Windows Azure Storage system died.  This is not going to be a fun week, as I deal with the repercussions of this outage.

I am just praying, just praying that eventually, when this problem is fixed, that my VMs come back up, and the underlying virtual disks didn't get corrupted or lose data.  If that happens, I'm completely done.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:43 AM
  • Anyone else here using Service Bus?  Read/writes to table storage (US West) are now working for us, but all TCP connections to Service Bus endpoints in the same region are failing with socket timeouts.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:05 AM
  • Unbelievable is a word my company has been seeing and using an awful lot lately. I was expecting that moving our sites to the cloud would remove the need for us to implement a disaster recovery failover plan, but now I feel like we need a disaster recovery failover plan. And what's with the status dashboard showing "warning" icons during this entire event? A total outage of a service is hardly a "warning", as if you "might" run into issues. Should have been big'ole red exclamation points across every service that was down.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:26 AM
  • Hi,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you due to the service outage. Can you please send me an email to : Mariyada@hotmail.com with your subscription details and let me know if you are still impacted?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:46 AM
  • Hi All,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Are you still seeing this issue? At this point, the service should be almost entirely restored . If you are still facing issues, I would recommend you create a new MSDN thread so we can jump on it quickly.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 21, 2014 6:14 AM