Error: Access Denied - locked out RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I was editing the different user groups in my SharePoint site as an administrator. Well, while I was doing that I wanted to delete the site owners category. I guess that was mistake, because after I tried it locked me out and then asked me to sign in as a different user. Now I can't login at all. Other site administrators are able to, but it has locked me out. Anything I can do? I can't stand to drop 259 bucks on a service call to Microsoft when it could be a simple fix.

Thanks to anyone!
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:13 AM CAPS and ! removed from subject.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 10:41 PM

Answers

• When you say other site administrators, are they from your site only? According to my understanding up to now there looks no concept of User locking in share point.
    From your note i feel like you have added yourself into site owners group and after deleting that your credentials are lost. So it might not be allowing you to login or else sometimes the UserID under domain account will be locked which also may cause this issue for individual user.

Nagendra
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Removing credentials cannot lock a domain account.  The only thing that can lock an account is a series of invalid logins per your domain policy.  For example, 5 username/password mismatches.

If you are an owner of a site or sub-site you can remove a group.  A site still has to have at least one person with Full Control, I assume that it would have been somebody added individually.

Site Collection Administrators would also continue to have access, and they can resolve the issue.
    SharePoint Developer | Administrator | Evangelist -- Twitter - https://twitter.com/next_connect
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:28 PM

All replies

• Site Collection Owners would still have access.  Have one of them add you to the group or log in under the farm administrator account.
    SharePoint Developer | Administrator | Evangelist -- Twitter - https://twitter.com/next_connect
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:51 PM
  • When you say other site administrators, are they from your site only? According to my understanding up to now there looks no concept of User locking in share point.
    From your note i feel like you have added yourself into site owners group and after deleting that your credentials are lost. So it might not be allowing you to login or else sometimes the UserID under domain account will be locked which also may cause this issue for individual user.

Nagendra
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Removing credentials cannot lock a domain account.  The only thing that can lock an account is a series of invalid logins per your domain policy.  For example, 5 username/password mismatches.

If you are an owner of a site or sub-site you can remove a group.  A site still has to have at least one person with Full Control, I assume that it would have been somebody added individually.

Site Collection Administrators would also continue to have access, and they can resolve the issue.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:28 PM