none
USB Driver certified for Win7/8 32/64 bits RRS feed

• Question

• We have 32 bit and 64 bit versions of USB driver. 32 bit driver was successfully tested with HCK on 32-bit versions

of Win 7 and Win 8 clients, and 64 bit driver was tested on 64 bit versions of Win 7 and Win 8 clients.

So, we have 2 sets of USB driver files: one for 32 bit clients (Win7 and Win 8),

another one for 64 bit clients (Win 7 and Win 8).

We have successfully submitted HCK test results to MS and get back CAB file with signed CAT files.

BUT: Inside the CAB file we have found 4 folders with full set of driver's files and each folder has it's own copy of CAT

file. We have checked the signature of 4 CAT files (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/3437eadd-6207-44b4-9248-1dc5b24e9c8f/signed-cat-file) and found that each folder inside CAB file is intended for

single client: Win 7 32, Win 7 64, Win 8 32 and Win 64.

The questions are:

1. why do we have 2 different sets (the difference is in CAT file signature ONLY) of driver files

for 64 bit clients (win 7 and Win 8) while we have tested exactly the same driver for both Win 7 and Win 8.

And the same question is about 32 bit version of the driver?

2. Can we get just 2  sets of driver files - one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit - with CAT file signed for both Win 7

and Win 8 platforms?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have an INF file of your drivers corresopnded to both Windows 7 and 8?

If you have sent separated INF files for submission, you might get CAT files corrsponded to each INF file.

Yo Yamada

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:20 AM
  • Yes, I have the single INF file and SYS file for Win 7-64 and Win 8-64.

Another set of INF+SYS files is for Win 7-32 and Win 8-32.

in Short words I have 2 sets of driver files:

-one for 32 bit versions

and

- another one for 64 bit versions

But MS certified them in the form of 4 different set of driver files:

-win7-32

-win8-32

-win7-64

-win8-64

It looks sort of redundant to me.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Have you tried to install a Win8x64 driver with the w7x64 cat file ?
    Friday, June 21, 2013 11:58 AM
  • yes. I did.

Win8x64 driver successfully installed on Win7x64 and visa-verse.

Win8x32 driver successfully installed on Win7x32 and visa-verse.

Of course, I did test such scenarios on single flavor of Win 7 and Win 8 - Professional.

And I am guessing why MS signed 4 .CAT files but not just 2 ones - 32 bit and 64 bit?

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:37 PM
  • I think that you created 4 files when you created your submission package. (W8x32, W8x64, W7x32, W7x64)

So MS robot signed all four and sent you back the result.

Am I right ?

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:16 AM
  • yes, I have to manually delete duplicated file folders from the submission package via HCL Manager UI.

If you have one common driver for x86 platform and one for x64 platform then you can get the two common single cat file for each platform in the following way.

1. Generate the all HCKX file with their respective driver folders in the Package tab.

2. Merger all OS HCKX files using “Merge” option.

3. Go to the Package tab

4. Right click on the one of the driver path from “Driver Folder” and click on the “Properties”

5. Driver Properties will give the information about that driver and for which OS it is uploaded

6. If it the driver is same for all x86 then you can associate the driver with select the all x86 platforms “products” tab on Driver Properties and in the same way for x64 OS also.

7. Now you can delete remaining existing associated driver paths from the “Driver Folder” section except the two driver folders that you have selected for the two platforms

8. Create the final package from Studio and submit the package in SysDev.

In the same way you can identify the x86 driver and check the checkboxes for all x86 OS from Driver Properties and create the final HCKX file to submit in SysDev.

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:26 PM
  • So basically you have a x64 driver and a x32 driver. If you select your x64, select all the machines who were running on x64 OS, likewise for x32 driver. This way MS will give you two cat files (one for x64 and one for x32) that you can user for your installer. 

So in your situation, I think you have two cat files which are useless (one x64 and one x32) so I guess you can basically delete them or at least, put them away. When you will compile your installer, make sure you treat both x32 and x64 cases separately to avoid using a x64 .cat file for the x32 installation.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:09 AM
  • You can send mail to sysdev@microsoft.com for helps. If the pacakges are identical, sysdev can help to provide you a single CAT file.

Please provide them the submission IDs for both packages.

Thanks,

Monday, July 1, 2013 6:51 PM