none
VS2005 Vs. VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Firstly, my appologies if this is posted in the wrong area. I wasnt quite sure where it should go.

I'm after some advice on whether I should use VS2005 or VS2008 (beta at this stage) for a project I am about to embark on.

This project is going to be a winforms database application, written in C#, using SQLServer2005 as the backend. While I am an experienced deveoper (with database applications), I am not that experienced in the Visual Studio environment. This project is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me.

My research at the moment indicates that if I go with VS2005 (which is my current plan), that I should use some sort of code generator to make the development easier (I'm leaning towards codesmith/nettiers). I have also heard that VS2008 will largely make this code generation unnecessary - I'm not quite sure how, but I think it has to do with LINQ.

Now, my project will take about 6-12 months, so by the time I'm done, the full release of VS2008 should be available. So, in theory, I could start development with the beta of VS2008, and  then switch to the full release later.

My question is, which is the right path to take? I'm inclined to just go with VS2005, as I am more likely to find community support for a product which has been out there for longer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:00 PM

All replies

• If your project due date is that far off then I would go with Visual Studio 2008. There currently are MSDN support forums for the beta.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1016&SiteID=1

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Ok - thanks. I'll look into it a little.

The main problem is that I am not an experienced developer in the Visual Studio environment. I have read plenty of books which discuss individual concepts (accessing/updating/displaying data), but have had a lot of problems finding a source that says "this is how you tie them together in a single neat database application".

I have now found a contractor who I will be using to train me in the use of generated code (with VS 2005) in use with a winforms database application, which should launch me into the project.

My concern is that I may have trouble finding similar assistance for VS 2008/LINQ. I will find plenty of samples/instructions for doing a very specific thing, but have trouble accessing an overall guidline for building a winforms database application.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 11:34 PM