none
Deploy problems - can not install .NET framework or Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Developing an 2010 add-in in Visual Studio 2012 according to the writeup on msdn at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442767%28v=vs.110%29.aspx. Specifically, the section on 'Configure the dependent components as prerequisites` is where I'm stuck.

Not a whole lot of options but I must be missing something crucial. Retracing my steps:

- created 2010 Add-in project (mostly empty, just a test)

- added InstallShield Limited Edition project template (had to install from Flexera software first)

- added this new setup project to solution for x86 deployment

- configure reg settings, files, etc. for this deploy project

- quick test of deploy before adding perquisites ok (program files added, reg updated, can remove from programs)

- go to Redistributables tab to add in prereqs

- add Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Full prereq (choose no to download, set Build Location under properties for this prereq to "Download from Web")

- notice 4.0 requires Windows Imaging Component (x86) and Windows Imaging Component prereqs, add those in too, set prereq order accordingly)

- add Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime prereq (choose no to download, set to download from web)

The solutions build without problem but when setup file is executed on Windows 7 Virtual Machine (Modern IE 64-bit or 32-bit) I receive an error preventing the install from happening as below:

"The installation of Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 Full has failed. Setup will now exit."

Any ideas on what to do or where to go from here? The error is pretty generic...doesn't give me much to go on...

Thanks,

Aaron

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Aaron,

I think it's most likely the problem with the InstallShield, since you can manually install .Net Framework successfully. Maybe you can troubleshoot this problem by firstly check the cause of the .Net Framework installation error.

Troubleshooting .NET Framework 4 Install failures

Find the root cause of the .Net Framework installation failure with the help of this article. Determine if you need to add other extra redistributable packages along with .Net Framework and VSTO runtime.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by azeeriley Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

> "The installation of Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 Full has failed. Setup will now exit."

Did you try to install .net framework 4.0 manually? Can you install it on the problematic PC? Do you get the same error message?

Anyway, I have found the similar issue described, here is what should be done:

This issue can be resolved by resetting the Windows Update components, please refer to the following Microsoft knowledgebase article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Eugene.

I was able to install the .net framework + VSTO run time manually. Then the setup package for the office add-in installed fine.

I did notice that a manual install of VSTO also installs Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86), so maybe that's the issue.

Since I'm creating this is as an install shield setup package or even a click once deploy package, it'd be awesome if all of this can be automated....

I'll leave this open in case anyone has any ideas.

Aaron

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:04 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

I think it's most likely the problem with the InstallShield, since you can manually install .Net Framework successfully. Maybe you can troubleshoot this problem by firstly check the cause of the .Net Framework installation error.

Troubleshooting .NET Framework 4 Install failures

Find the root cause of the .Net Framework installation failure with the help of this article. Determine if you need to add other extra redistributable packages along with .Net Framework and VSTO runtime.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by azeeriley Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:16 AM
  • Thanks Caillen!

Makes sense to me that it's missing some dependency and these logs *should* tell me what I need to know to resolve it.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:24 PM