Not able to connect to SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently installed SQL server management studio on my PC but I am not able to connect to the server. The error I get is,

Cannot connect to Local

Additional information: A network related or instance specific error occurred while establishing connection to SQL server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that the SQL server is configured to allow remote connection. (Provider: named pipes provider, error 40, could not open a connection to SQL server) (Microsoft  SQL server, error:2)

Please help me in resolving this issue.

Regards

Amit

Friday, January 31, 2014 5:09 PM

Answers

• The resolution is simple: specify the server instance correctly.

How you do that? Well, I don't know your environment... But the error message says Cannot connect to Local. At the same time you say SQL server management studio on my PC, which indicates that you installed only SSMS and not SQL Server itself on your machine. In such case, you don't have any local instance. You need to know the name of the server (as well as any instance name or port number). If you don't know, please contact your DBA.

Only to cover up other possibilities:

1) You did install a server instance as well, but you installed SQL Server Express. In that case try .\SQLEXPRESS for the instance name.

2) You did in fact install a default instance, but for whatever reason it is not running. Check in SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Friday, January 31, 2014 10:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:52 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 10:29 PM