VM with RemoteApp - How to license? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

We have to implement for a Customer a Windows Server 2012 R2 to run an application that is going to be used with RemoteApp feature. I know that in order to implement RDS Host is necessary to be part of an active directory domain so we need another VM to implement a domain controller.

We know that the license of the operating system and the Windows CALs are included with the azure subscription, but what about RDS?

We know that is goint to be ready to license another Azure product that is "Azure RemoteApp" but what i was Reading is that it has only two opctions, on-cloud or hybrid, on-cloud is just a Windows Server with office and that is all (you can not customize or add your apps) and the other option is hybrid where you can put you own apps but you must créate a site-to site vpn to your company, and is not useful in that case because the application is going to be used from everywhere in internet. Am I correct?

Any advice or clarification will be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Cristian L Ruiz

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:08 PM

All replies

• hi Cristian,

Thanks for your posting!

Firstly, I ssuggest you could refer to the Remote Desktop service part of  Azure Licesing FAQ page (http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/licensing-faq/ ). And then you could see this similar thread (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/95f812d8-4c23-4032-a446-7604efde2d16/run-remoteapp-on-a-single-azure-vm?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows ).

Any questions about this issue, please let me know.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:55 AM
  • Hi Will,

thank you for your reply.

Here we have 2 aspects, technical and commercial.

Commercial aspect: the link you gave me says what I already knew, but what about this new feature called "RemoteApp Azure"? Let me know if I am right, if not useful for implementing a custom application to be used with RemoteApp from anywhere on the Internet. By the way, I asked for the subrsciption SALs and our dealer told me that the customer has to sign a contract for 3 years and SAL is too expensive.

Technical aspect: I am correct that in order to implement RemoteApp in VM are necessary 2 VMs, one for RDS host and the other for domain controller? because the link you gave me about others threads ask the same and nobody answers that question.

And is it true that the only option to implement a RemoteApp solution for a customized application to be used from eveywhere in the internet is to implement 2 VMs, and the new feature Azure RemoteApp is not usefull for that situation? So, the solution become too expensive. You have the cost of 2 VMs, and the SALs that are expensive and with a 3 year contract!!!!!!

I am very tired, as always Microsoft has trouble clarifying the terms of licensing. I called to 0800 and they told me to see here in the forums. I do not know if support is poor only for Latin America or is the same for other places.

Thanks

Cristian L Ruiz

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Hello,

for using remote Desktop Services with your Azure subscription, you Need the RDS Subscription Access License(SAL) through a Service Provider reseller (SPLA).

only customers with RDS CALs with active Software assurance in Volume licensing are entitled to RDS CAL Extended Rights, which allow use of their RDS User CAL with Software Assurance against a Windows Server running on Azure or other service providers shared server environments.

thanks

diramoh

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:47 PM