No witness, primary shutsdown, bring failover online RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, Great webcast today.  My question is, I have everything up and running and would like to know what to do when the machine my primary is on quits or has a some type of disaster.  Do I need to manually run recovery on each db that was mirrored?  I'm not currently running a witness.

thanks

Saturday, May 6, 2006 12:42 AM

Answers

• ok, so you're running high protection mode.

I will have to correct myself here first, running in either high performance or high protection requires that you force service from server A to B. In books Online, look up the topics:

Forced Service (with Possible Data Loss)

and

How to: Force Service in a Database Mirroring Session (Transact-SQL)

these will explain in more detail than I ever could! 

Hope this helps 

Monday, May 8, 2006 2:19 PM
  • This is correct.  If the principal cannot be contacted, then the way to make the databases available on the mirror is to turn off mirroring or to issue a "FORCE_SERVICE_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS"

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, May 8, 2006 8:30 PM

All replies

• No, you don't need to recover anything but depending on which mode you are running you will  need to iether manually initiate a failover from server A to B or force the service from server A to B because you are running without a witness.

do you know what mode you are running, high-performance or high-protection?

Monday, May 8, 2006 2:04 PM
  • Everything runs in high Safty and just to be clear I'm looking at the scenario where the primary just dies. 
    Monday, May 8, 2006 2:07 PM
  • ok, so you're running high protection mode.

I will have to correct myself here first, running in either high performance or high protection requires that you force service from server A to B. In books Online, look up the topics:

Forced Service (with Possible Data Loss)

and

How to: Force Service in a Database Mirroring Session (Transact-SQL)

these will explain in more detail than I ever could! 

Hope this helps 

Monday, May 8, 2006 2:19 PM
  • This is correct.  If the principal cannot be contacted, then the way to make the databases available on the mirror is to turn off mirroring or to issue a "FORCE_SERVICE_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS"

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, May 8, 2006 8:30 PM