Application that uses SQLSERVER Express 2008 terminates Abnormally while creating a Brand New DB on 64 Bit Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• My application installs sqlserver express 2008 as a prerequisite.  This application installs properly on Windows 7 64 bit intel processor laptop and even opens the application properly when I double click on the application icon.  However when I instruct the application (C++ MFC) to create a new SQLSERVER Database (actually it copies a default database and renames it) the application bombs.  The application executes properly on 32 bit Windows 7 with intel processor.  I do not know where to look to solve this problem.  Thanks.
    • Moved by edhickey Friday, July 30, 2010 8:50 PM (From:SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup and Upgrade)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How do you create a new database? Do you use a user instance in your application? If you set User Instance=true in the connection string, a user instance is generated at the first time. Then, the master and msdb system databases are copied from the Template Data folder to a path under the user's local application data repository directory for exclusive use by the user instance.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How do you create a new database? Do you use a user instance in your application? If you set User Instance=true in the connection string, a user instance is generated at the first time. Then, the master and msdb system databases are copied from the Template Data folder to a path under the user's local application data repository directory for exclusive use by the user instance.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Hi Tom:

Thanks for the reply.  I apologize for the delay but for various reasons I was only able to look at your response only now.  I am not using user instance.  My question is why is there a problem with 64-bit Windows 7 but no problem with 32-bit Windows 7?  It is the same code after all.  What am I missing?

Thanks,

Murali

Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:14 PM