none
easy mapping from ActiveWindows.Selection to ActiveDocument RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Can someone point me to a simple way to map from:

...Application.ActiveWindow.Selection.Sentences Collection
                 TO
    ...Application.ActiveDocument.Sentences Collection

I want to process sentences via the same code, regardless of selectiontype:  InsertionPoint using ActiveDocument or Selection using ActiveWindow.Selection.

Thanks billwa992

Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill

More likely an error in my understanding :-) I think I was seeing "ActiveDocument.Selection", yesterday... (long day, nasty project)

How about something along these lines:

Word.Range rngSelection = Application.Selection.Range;
      Word.Range rngDocument = Application.ActiveDocument.Content;
      DoSomethingWithSentences(rngSelection) //or rngDocument

private void DoSomethingWithSentences(Word.Range rng){ rng.Sentences.Count }

In both cases, then you're working with a Range object, so both scenarios should be able to leverage the same code...

EDIT: <duh>I don't work with Sentences much, sorry for the lapse in logic. The Sentences property returns a RANGE object. So you should be able to pass Whichever.Sentences to the same method. That method signature needs to have a Range argument (as above).

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill

Eh, I think you mean:

Application.Selection

ActiveDocument is always going to be the document "on top" when you use Application.Selection, which is why there's no Selection property for the Document object.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Cindy,

Um, No, I think I mean ActiveDocument, as I only initiate my AddIn functionality on the Document Object "on top".

And I want to process the Sentences Collection.  if nothing is selected (I.E. selectiontype is InsertionPoint), I process the whole document using ActiveDocument.Sentences collection.  if the user has selected a portion of the document (I.E. all the other selectiontypes) then I want to process only that portion of the document using ActiveWindow.Selection.Sentences Collection.  I'm looking for a simple way to map the selection's Sentences Collection, back to the document's Sentences Collection so I can use common code.  Does this make sense??  Or where is the error in my understanding.

Thanks for the very quick response.

billwa992

• Edited by billwa992 Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:36 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hi Bill

More likely an error in my understanding :-) I think I was seeing "ActiveDocument.Selection", yesterday... (long day, nasty project)

How about something along these lines:

Word.Range rngSelection = Application.Selection.Range;
      Word.Range rngDocument = Application.ActiveDocument.Content;
      DoSomethingWithSentences(rngSelection) //or rngDocument

private void DoSomethingWithSentences(Word.Range rng){ rng.Sentences.Count }

In both cases, then you're working with a Range object, so both scenarios should be able to leverage the same code...

EDIT: <duh>I don't work with Sentences much, sorry for the lapse in logic. The Sentences property returns a RANGE object. So you should be able to pass Whichever.Sentences to the same method. That method signature needs to have a Range argument (as above).

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:12 AM