none
DAtaSync taking very long RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We got a small database on the SQL Azure platform for which we are trying to setup a Data Sync to an on premises database. I have been trying for weeks without success to get the datasync to complete.

I have a sync that has been running since the weekend without any issues according to the logs in the management portal. I have setup a second sync to a different location (different server) on Tuesday evening and even that has been running nonstop without completing.

What is the best? Should I just delete all the data en setup the sync again hoping it would be faster, or should I just wait it out?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:58 PM

Answers

• you mentioned you created a new sync group, does the new sync group differ in terms of the columns you're synching compared to the previous sync group?

if you want to start from scratch, i suggest you delete the sync groups, and if the deprovisioning of the sync groups does not clean up all the sync related objects (tracking table, sp, etc...), run the deprovisioning utility found in the same folder where you installed the on-premise sync agent.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:47 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Marais,

What's the size of your database and is the on-premises database empty?

What did you see on the management portal, is it provisioning or synchronizing?

What's your data sync server id and sync group id?

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Hi there,

The hub database is about 256MB and the target db is not empty. I going to setup a sync to a completely empty database to see if that works better and faster.

Management portal is reporting various things. On the sync group, it says the agent is offline. If I go to the agent, it says there synchronizing...

The server id: e4e38c20-9487-435f-94ae-1ded32731eaa
    Sync group Id: 0b165023-2d3e-4455-b42c-9ea1d1f57271

Hope that helps a bit.

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:58 AM
  • HI there,

I have now set up a new sync group after I cleared all data from the database.

The server id is still the same but the sync group id changed to 8ded819b-8456-4a4a-bcba-995dbf58b639.

Now I keep getting the error that more than 1000 transactions failed. Nowhere can I get the specific table that is failing. On there server itself, I can get exception details in the event log, but nothing specific in pointing me to what caused the error.

This is the error in the management portal:

Sync failed with the exception "Sync was aborted because more than 1000 changes failed to apply. Examine your table schemas to look for conflicting constraints or incompatible data types that may prevent sync from succeeding."

For more information, provide tracing id ‘fe4763d7-ec02-4078-bef5-5e845a95ea67’ to customer support.

If I can get something more specific it would help a great deal. I need this sync to work by Monday, business is starting to put some real pressure on this and I'm starting to loose patience with this service.

Edit: This is the error details in the event log (the first part, did copy the stacktrace as it doesn't really point to a location)

id:ClientRequestHandler_ExceptionProcessingRequest, rId:, sId:e4e38c20-9487-435f-94ae-1ded32731eaa, taskId:fe4763d7-ec02-4078-bef5-5e845a95ea67, e:'Type=Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.DbSyncException,Message=An unexpected error occurred when applying batch file C:\Users\CAMBIS~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DSS_syncjobx4q435e4ok5mozul2ddyrrzc\ef47c4ea-940a-479c-8e7a-4a25d408a5fc.batch. See the inner exception for more details.,Source=Microsoft.Synchronization,StackTrace=   at Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.DbSyncBatchConsumer.ApplyBatches(DbSyncScopeMetadata scopeMetadata, DbSyncSession syncSession, SyncSessionStatistics sessionStatistics)

Any help would do!

Thanks

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Hi Marais,

The 1000 changes failed apply error indicated that there's something of your table schema which is not supported by DSS. You can check your table schema and refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh667303#bkmk_syncfailsscenario

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:09 AM
  • you mentioned you created a new sync group, does the new sync group differ in terms of the columns you're synching compared to the previous sync group?

if you want to start from scratch, i suggest you delete the sync groups, and if the deprovisioning of the sync groups does not clean up all the sync related objects (tracking table, sp, etc...), run the deprovisioning utility found in the same folder where you installed the on-premise sync agent.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:47 AM
    Answerer