none
Welcome to the Windows Server Virtualization MSDN Forum! RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is a newly created forum for the discussion of development related issues with Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008.

Cheers,

Ben

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:23 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Ben,

Any chance we'll see the WMI documentation for Hyper-V soon? Would this be a better forum than the Technet one for discussing WMI & Hyper-V?

Thanks,

Aitor

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Yes - this is a great forum for discussing the WMI interfaces.  We are working hard to get the documentation out as soo as possible - but I cannot commit to a date.

Cheers,

Ben

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Well - here's hoping that the docs appear before February!

Thanks for answering this in two forums!

I don't suppose you can give me a quick hint for now. I'm looking to be able to list VMs and then change their state (e.g. start them up, power them down)

I can list VMs fairly easily using the following (based on some code in PPT slideshow from WinHec 2006):

Dim WMIService
    Dim VMList
    Dim VM
    Dim VMHost

VMHost = "."
    ' Get instance of the WMI Service in the virtualization namespace.
    Set WMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & VMHost & "\root\virtualization")

' Enumerate all Msvm_VirtualComputerSystem objects.
    Set VMList = WMIService.InstancesOf("Msvm_VirtualSystemSettingData")

For Each VM In VMList
        WScript.Echo "VM Name: " & VM.ElementName
    Next

However, I can't then do anything with them. I can see that there are methods for Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService like InstantiateVirtualSystem() but I don't know what to pass them as a reference to the VM. For instance, the following does not work...

' Connect to WMI class that represents VSMS
    Set VMService = WMIService.Get("Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService")

Set VMList = WMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Msvm_VirtualSystemSettingData ", "WQL", 48 )

' Activate the specified VM.
    For Each VM In VMList
        WScript.Echo "Activating VM " & VM.ElementName
        VMService.InstantiateVirtualSystem(VM)
    Next

With the above, the echo works (so the list of VMs is OK), but InstantiateVirtualSystem errors with a type mismatch. I'm not sure what I should be passing it, but whatever it is it doesn't seem to be something I can get back from the WQL query above...

Any pointers much appreciated!

cheers,

Aitor

Friday, January 4, 2008 8:02 PM
  • We are workng on getting the WMI documentation out there as soon as possible.  The answer to your question actually requires a fair chunk of background on our WMI model - so please wait for the formal documentation to come out and ask me again then.

Cheers,

Ben

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

I want to read the BIOS lock strings from on a Box running WinPE 2.0 or on MSVM running WinPE 2.0. I am getting error when i try to read the BIOS using WMI on a MSVM with Windows 2008 as host and WinPE 2.0 as guest.

Is there any sample WMI code to read the BIOS strings.

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Mike posted about the Hyper-V WMI API doc's on the TechNet Forum here.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Thanks,

I've just installed Server 2008 (Enterprise) for testing and discovered that I don't have Hyper-V hardware. <sigh>

I then tried to install Virtual Server 2007 which keeps warning me to install the IIS6 Metabase Compatibility first (but I did install it first.)

When I tried to access the Virtual Server web site, I found I could not get the system to execute the .exe file being called. Instead, it offers to download it for me.

What, if anything, can I do to get some flavor of Virtual Server working on Server 2008, or is this a case of 'buy hyper-v hardware or give up?

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:43 PM
  • You need to enable CGI on IIS.

Cheers,

Ben

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Thank you very much! That fixed the problem.

I have been running IIS for as long as it has existed. I have never before enabled CGI and never before had this problem with virtual server.

Live and learn.

Jim Kay

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:56 PM
  • On second thought, I still have a problem.

I can now run the virtual server administration locally, but not remotely.

From another computer (vista) I still get the download prompt rather than the Virtual Server Interface.

(I am not running a domain)

Thanks,

Jim Kay

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:40 AM
  • This forum is meant for the discussion of Hyper-V.  Can you post in the Virtual Server newsgroup? http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.virtualserver

Cheers,

Ben

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:21 PM