How Do I Enable Multiple cores in Hyper-V in Windows 8 DP?

Question

• Maybe I'm dreaming or something, but I remember seeing Hyper-V (in Windows Server 8) running with 16 cores but When I installed Windows 8 DP 32bit in Hyper V in Windows 8 64bit just to try it out, I noticed Task Manager showing only 1 of my 8 logical processors being used. Is there a way to enable multiple processors in Hyper-V in Windows 8 Client?
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:35 AM

Answers

• Just open the Hyper-V Manager, select the VM you want to adjust, on the right hand side of the Hyper-V Manager click on Settings and Voila, you can change whatever you want.

• Edited by Godwinium Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sadatay Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:35 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:31 AM

All replies

• I'm going off my memory here, when you set up the VM it should have asked you how many processors to use, how much RAM etc. I'm pretty sure you can right click something to bring up the settings and update them.

Just play around with it, if its there - it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Try running Windows 8 in Hyper-V on a Windows 7 machine and see if you can notice any differences.

Sorry for being a bit vague, i haven't used hyper-v for a while

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:28 AM
  • On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 04:28:48 +0000, Michael.Barry-UK wrote:

Try running Windows 8 in Hyper-V on a Windows 7 machine and see if you?can notice any differences.

There is no Hyper-V role available on Windows 7 so that would be quite the
    trick to pull off.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Every program is a part of some other program, and rarely fits.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Really? I tend to think of compatibility between Windows 7 and Server 2008 so i assumed you could run it off 7
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:39 AM
  • Just open the Hyper-V Manager, select the VM you want to adjust, on the right hand side of the Hyper-V Manager click on Settings and Voila, you can change whatever you want.

• Edited by Godwinium Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sadatay Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:35 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:31 AM