none
Trigger O365 Group Site Creation (SharePoint Site) RRS feed

• Question

• By default, when creating an O365 Group, the SharePoint Site that provides document storage for the Group is not created automatically. It gets created on demand when a user navigates to the site for the first time.

I had a provisioning script that got around this problem by making a HTTP GET request to the URL that the user would normally navigate to, which looked like: https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/groupstatus.aspx?id=<groupId>&target=documents

Something must have changed recently because this no longer triggers the Site creation, so my script times out.

Looking at the network traffic when I manually create a group and navigate to the site, I see some calls being made to https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/_api/GroupSiteManager/Create?groupId='<groupId>';

Is this "GroupSiteManager" endpoint documented anywhere, or is there an established method for forcing the Group Site to be created automatically? 

I am using a Provider Hosted Add-In.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• DC, any progress with this?

Thank you!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:47 AM
    Owner
  • I am curious if you figured this out. It is clear that all group creation methods are not made equal and the problem child appears to be sharepoint sites.

I need to be able to create a group with a site, then provision lists and pages on the site; however, no method that I am currently aware of will allow that. 

If you create a group with the PNP CSOM code, roles are not set so I cannot access the site as an administrator.

If you create a group through the exchange shell, the sharepoint site will never get created.

If you create a group via Microsoft Graph (Rest or Managed Code), the site appears to randomly get created.

In none of the above do you actually have a site that you can work with.   This is a problem.

It appears that the GroupSiteManager along with the SP.Directory.DirectorySession api's are the solution, but there is no documentation.

Would love to hear if you figured this out.

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:49 PM
  • Would love to hear if you figured this out.

Did anyone of you resolve this in the meantime? Trying basically the same from a Flow but can't trigger the site creation process.
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 10:46 PM