Help with error message RRS feed

• Question

• ive built an hello world example Web Service locally whichworks find.

Ive rented out some .net2 asp webspace to serve my appliation.

right click in property solution explorer and click on publish website. I then go througth the motions and my files are uploaded.

Now when i browse to my service in internet explorer i get the following error:

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not create type 'Service'.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/Service.cs" Class="Service" %>

My service is compiled to a dll so not sure at all about /AppCode/Service.cs

Any ideas?

Saturday, September 2, 2006 4:59 AM

Answers

• Got it working  - needed virtual directory.
    Saturday, September 2, 2006 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you sure you are using the .NET Framework 2.0 on the hoster site? I can reproduce this exact same error report in a published web service, if I set up IIS to run that particular web application with .NET 1.1. Changing it to .NET 2.0 solves the problem.

The error page should report the version number of the framework, something like this:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Of course if it reports version 1.1, that is a problem. Hosters might offer you a choice to set up your hosting space as either 1.1 or 2.0.

If you are running 2.0, then I do not know what could cause that error message.

Best regards
       -LenardG

Saturday, September 2, 2006 6:10 AM
  • Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

That can't be the problem, any ideas anyone? 

Saturday, September 2, 2006 11:36 AM
  • Got it working  - needed virtual directory.
    Saturday, September 2, 2006 12:18 PM