none
Azure Containers? RRS feed

• Question

• I know this isn't specifically an Azure container forum, but there is no Azure Containers forum, so hopefully someone here knows the answer to this.

Can anyone help me understand what the following Azure services are, how they are different?

• ACS - Azure Container Service
    • AKS - Azure Kubernetes Service
    • ACI - Azure Container Instances
    • ACS (Managed) - Managed Azure Container Services

The problem is that the documentation on these is either non-existent, or old, or just incorrect.  I know AKS and ACS (Managed) are in preview.  ACI has recently gone from Preview to GA.  But other than that, it's hard to figure out the differences.

Is ACS going to be deprecated and replaced with.. something?  What will it be replaced with?  ACS (Managed)?  AKS?  What's the difference between AKS and ACS (Managed)?  I've read that AKS is Managed as well.  What does Managed mean in this context? (I understand what Kubernetes and DC/OS are, but I don't understand how this is different from the other offerings)

ACI seems like maybe it's used to deploy a single instance of a container, is that correct?

If I'm planning to develop a Kubernetes based solution, should I choose AKS? or ACS Managed?  How do I choose which offering to use?

• Edited by Erik HT Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:24 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:22 PM

Answers

1. ACS is set of tools provided by Microsoft to help you provision container orchestrator of your choice. Once it's provisioned it's your responsibility to maintain entire infrastructure. It's not much different then just creating those orchestrators manually by hand in Azure. All Microsoft does is makes it easier for you but once it's one it's your problem.
    2. AKS is fully managed Kubernetes implementation in Azure. You do not control anything relevant to orchestrator and also don't pay for those. You one pay for managed Kubernetes nodes. 
    3. ACI is fully managed by Microsoft single container instance (and hence the name), you can create either Linux or Windows containers by providing necessary information to Azure. They are not orchestrated and hence they don't scale or load balance by themselves
    4. There is no such things as managed ACS. Not sure where did you get that offer.

• Marked as answer by Erik HT Friday, April 27, 2018 8:07 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2018 5:34 PM
  • They are the same thing. Go into ACS managed option and go to first step of Wizard, notice what is written on top. It says AKS. I would assume Microsoft might be thinking of having different types of ACS services being managed and AKS being just one of them but I'm pretty sure only AKS will ever be managed by Microsoft.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 8:05 PM

All replies

1. ACS is set of tools provided by Microsoft to help you provision container orchestrator of your choice. Once it's provisioned it's your responsibility to maintain entire infrastructure. It's not much different then just creating those orchestrators manually by hand in Azure. All Microsoft does is makes it easier for you but once it's one it's your problem.
    2. AKS is fully managed Kubernetes implementation in Azure. You do not control anything relevant to orchestrator and also don't pay for those. You one pay for managed Kubernetes nodes. 
    3. ACI is fully managed by Microsoft single container instance (and hence the name), you can create either Linux or Windows containers by providing necessary information to Azure. They are not orchestrated and hence they don't scale or load balance by themselves
    4. There is no such things as managed ACS. Not sure where did you get that offer.

Friday, April 27, 2018 5:34 PM
  • There is in fact something called "ACS (Managed)".  It says it's in preview.

The url is https://portal.azure.com/#blade/HubsExtension/Resources/resourceType/Microsoft.ContainerService%2FmanagedClusters

Friday, April 27, 2018 7:37 PM
  • This is AKS, just different name.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 7:39 PM
  • Well, that's highly confusing.  Is there any official word on this?  Does ACS Managed replace AKS?  Or are they going to continue with both?
    Friday, April 27, 2018 7:51 PM
  • They are the same thing. They call AKS as ACS managed in portal.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 7:54 PM

• When I go to AKS in the portal it says "Azure Container Service - AKS (preview)" and when I go to ACS Managed, it says "Container Service (managed)".  So i'm not sure why you say they're called the same thing in the portal, they seem to be named differently to me.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 8:01 PM
  • They are the same thing. Go into ACS managed option and go to first step of Wizard, notice what is written on top. It says AKS. I would assume Microsoft might be thinking of having different types of ACS services being managed and AKS being just one of them but I'm pretty sure only AKS will ever be managed by Microsoft.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 8:05 PM
  • I see, yes you are correct.

Friday, April 27, 2018 8:07 PM