none
Best Workflow Solution?

Question

• Hi,

Creating a new project that requires workflow.  Using VS 2015 with WPF and/or UWP.  External customers need to be able to define the workflow (preferably using drag-and-drop) without IT support and from within our custom app.  What is the best workflow product to use under these conditions and is there sample code showing how to allow business users to define the workflow? 

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:37 PM

Answers

• Hi DaveIII,

Actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE.

>>Creating a new project that requires workflow.  Using VS 2015 with WPF and/or UWP.

Just to make this issue clearly, do you mean that you want to use the Windows Workflow Foundation (WF4) in your WPF or UWP apps?

If so, I did some research about this issue.

For the UWP apps, it would have certain limitations:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/385f4c72-358d-4622-a4ac-eb30a2a50645/uwp-how-to-use-windows-workflow-foundation-on-windows-10?forum=wpdevelop

For the WPF apps, there is a sample code, if possible, you could refer to it here:

Windows Workflow Foundation (WF4) - How to use Workflow from WPF

Or this sample could be helpful for you:

Work with WPF in Workflow

Like my previous reply, actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE usage, if the real issue is related to the WPF/UWP development, I think you could post this issue to the specific developing forum if the above suggestion no help for you.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

If I have misunderstood this issue, please also feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Monday, April 04, 2016 3:11 PM
    Friday, April 01, 2016 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi DaveIII,

Actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE.

>>Creating a new project that requires workflow.  Using VS 2015 with WPF and/or UWP.

Just to make this issue clearly, do you mean that you want to use the Windows Workflow Foundation (WF4) in your WPF or UWP apps?

If so, I did some research about this issue.

For the UWP apps, it would have certain limitations:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/385f4c72-358d-4622-a4ac-eb30a2a50645/uwp-how-to-use-windows-workflow-foundation-on-windows-10?forum=wpdevelop

For the WPF apps, there is a sample code, if possible, you could refer to it here:

Windows Workflow Foundation (WF4) - How to use Workflow from WPF

Or this sample could be helpful for you:

Work with WPF in Workflow

Like my previous reply, actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE usage, if the real issue is related to the WPF/UWP development, I think you could post this issue to the specific developing forum if the above suggestion no help for you.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

If I have misunderstood this issue, please also feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Monday, April 04, 2016 3:11 PM
    Friday, April 01, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Thanks Jack,

To answer your question, I wasn't trying to lead the discussion in the direction of Windows Workflow - particularly as those discussion groups appear to be closed. 

Thanks for the good suggestions and documentation. 

Monday, April 04, 2016 3:11 PM