Application level Word add-in on Quick Access toolbar, description on mouse hover shows assembly name. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have an application level word add-in that adds a ribbon button on the Send menu (via the ribbon). I add it manually to the quick access toolbar as well. My problem is that when I hover over the button on either the Send button or on the quick access toolbar, I see the description I want but in addition I see the name of the assembly at the bottom of the description and an icon that you typically see if you add your own component to Visual Studio's toolbox.

How can I get it to not display the name of my assembly when I hover over the button? I'd like it to be displayed exactly like when you over one of the MS button on the Quick Access toolbar like the Save button.

I have included the ribbon xml below:

<ribbon>
          <officeMenu>
             <menu idMso="FileSendMenu">
                <button id="buttonSend"  supertip ="my own test" label ="Upload to server" image="mylogo.gif"
                      insertAfterMso="FileInternetFax" onAction ="MyCustomPrintMethod" description="Upload to server ABC"/>
             </menu>
          </officeMenu>
       </ribbon>

I have also tried to sign it with a strong name key but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

TIA,

Magnus

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Magnus

You are unable to change these things. What you see is by design. The reasoning behind this design decision is that Microsoft wants users to always know when a command is not a built-in command (comes from a third-party), what application (add-in) is providing it, and how that application can be disabled. This is because of negative experiences in earlier versions of Word with some third-party Add-ins that caused frequent problems, for which Microsoft was always blamed.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Magnus

You are unable to change these things. What you see is by design. The reasoning behind this design decision is that Microsoft wants users to always know when a command is not a built-in command (comes from a third-party), what application (add-in) is providing it, and how that application can be disabled. This is because of negative experiences in earlier versions of Word with some third-party Add-ins that caused frequent problems, for which Microsoft was always blamed.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Thanks, this explains a lot!

-Magnus

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:58 PM