none
fba.exe - Application Error - memory could not be read

Question

• Hello,

i´m using ufdprep.exe utility and USB CF card reader/writer to prepare CF card (Transcend Compact Flash Ultra 1GB Industrial) before XPE image placement.
    I prepared about 30 CF cards this way, with no problems, but no i´m getting this error sometime.

"fba.exe - Application Error", "The instruction at 0x0089136d referenced 
    memory at 0x00089136d. The memory could not be read" 

Error occur after FBA restart PC and trying to reset setup flag. It doesn´t happend every time. 
    When i hit this problem sometime, it can be simply fixed by running whole process again (ufdprep - system copy - fba), but at some cases it didn´t help, even if i repeat this process two or three times again.

Can anybody help me with this problem,please?

Thank you for your answers. 

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:04 AM

All replies

• I did some other tests, and it seems that error is affected by actuall partition size of system disk. If is partition size set to 950MB (by "/size=" command in UFDprep) instead 970MB (full disc space), everything works just fine.

Boot partition size in TD is set to 1024MB, but real size of CF cards is in range of 960 - 970 MB. Is it possible that difference between set and real size can cause this error?

If yes, so it is possible that increase of this difference (lowering partition size to 950MB) can solve this problem?

Thanks for replies

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:32 PM
  • In general, if the disk size is equal too or greater than 1GB, you don't want to touch the partition size value. If the drive was 500MB, then changing the size was recommended since XPe will free up some space by removing a hidden license check component. You are talking about something on the edge. Is this CF 1024? If so you don't want to change the target design partition size setting. You might be running into corrupted flash blocks.

Who is the manufacturer of the CF card?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hello Sean, thank you for your answers.
    CF cards are sold like 1GB, but real sizes displayed by diskpart tool or disk manager are about 970MB and they are manufactured by Transcend.

This link leads to actual type of CF card which i am using:Transcend 1GB Compact Flash Card

I been thinking about corrupted flash blocks too, but this errors occurs on brand new cards in a quite big numbers (about 3 from 10 cards are showing this error) so i rejected this consideration, but I could be wrong.

Friday, May 18, 2012 12:16 PM
  • I have never seen this issue with 1GB cards, but not every flash disk is created equal. Here is another flash manufactuer that has CF solutions targeted for embedded: http://www.industrialcompactflash.com/index.cfm

The only other thing that could be a possibility, is that you want on partition and format the drive on the target system itself. There is an old issue with IDE controllers and drive head alignment. It shouldn't be an issue for flash, but strangers things have happened.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Hello Sean, thank you for your answers.
    I would like to stay with Transcend CF cards, because they are easily available for me then Winsystems cards.

I include system cloning component into my project and start distribute images on CF cards after FBA reseal phase with no error, even on previously problem cards. So i will most probably use this method for distributing xp images from now, because i was not able to figure what cause this fba.exe - Application Error.

On a plus site. System cloning is much faster, then run whole FBA on each device individualy.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:27 PM
  • OK. You are now talking about a different issue. To clone the master, you have to run FBreseal and then copy the master image to the clones.

You are doing this correctly.

-Sean

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Sorry for misunderstanding. I wrote this part little incomprehensible, but I deploy images correctly (as you wrote).

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:49 AM