none
"InfoPath has encountered an error. The Operation Failed. The parameter is incorrect." when publishing to new SP 2007 DocLib RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to publish ANY of my InfoPath 2007 forms into a new document library (generated by Infopath during publish), and get the error:

"InfoPath has encountered an error. The Operation Failed. The parameter is incorrect."

I have tried the following:

• - Repair InfoPath install
    • - Remove/Reinstall InfoPath
    • - Publish to new site
    • - Publish to new document library
    • - Publish with no promoted fields

but I keep getting the same error. If I try to publish to an existing Form Library, I get the following error:

"InfoPath failed to publish because the default content type in the document library is not based on the Form content type."

yet, the Form content type is the ONLY content type available in the content library. I'm really stumped as it seems the 'Publish' functionality has completely broken, and I need to be able to publish my forms into SharePoint.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:33 PM Title too long. Re-phrased and thus shortened without losing anything
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:06 PM

Answers

• The error you're getting is from SharePoint, so it wouldn't make sense that it's your InfoPath install.  The fact it worked from another machine may still not be related to InfoPath at all but rather something related to your identity or profile on that first machine.

The way to test this is to have someone else log on to your machine (log on to Windows, not just the browser) and try to publish that same InfoPath form.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by KelvinH Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• This means you haven't enabled the necessary feature for allowing InfoPath form usage.  What kind of site is this and what features are currently activated at both the site and site collection level?
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Every site that I'm testing is a Team Site, with Enterprise features turned on, on both levels. I've been publishing InfoPath forms to these document libraries in the past with no problems. I haven't tried publishing to them for a month or two and now that I try to publish an update to the form, I'm getting these errors.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Every site that I'm testing is a Team Site, with Enterprise features turned on, on both levels. I've been publishing InfoPath forms to these document libraries in the past with no problems. I haven't tried publishing to them for a month or two and now that I try to publish an update to the form, I'm getting these errors.

I've only ever seen that error when the feature for allowing InfoPath form functionality was not enabled, and this was only in SP2010 where you must enable Team Collaboration Lists.  Other than that, I've never seen it in SharePoint 2007 over a span of 4+ years.  If it worked before but then stopped working, then it means something changed in your environment.  It's imperative that we know what changed.
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Unfortunately, I have no control over the MOSS server and central admin, so I haven't been able to see if any changes have been made there. Our server support team has told me that they've implemented some hotfixes within the past couple of months, but no recorded changes other than that.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:26 PM
  • I would imagine if there is a SharePoint administration team, then they would be jumping on this issue as a trouble ticket, right?  If you only have front-end access, I don't think there's much you can do unless we get lucky and find a front-end setting that got changed.
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by KelvinH Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:11 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:39 PM
  • After trying another machine, it looks like it's my InfoPath installation. I can publish fine using the other machine.

I guess my question now is how to repair my InfoPath install? I have run Office 2007 repair and uninstalled and reinstalled InfoPath, but I'm still getting the same issue. I really don't want to re-image my machine. MSFT, can you suggest a reinstall method that puts a complete, fresh install of InfoPath on my machine? Is there perhaps a folder I can delete that removes any temporary files that may be affecting my InfoPath install?

Thx.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:14 PM
  • The error you're getting is from SharePoint, so it wouldn't make sense that it's your InfoPath install.  The fact it worked from another machine may still not be related to InfoPath at all but rather something related to your identity or profile on that first machine.

The way to test this is to have someone else log on to your machine (log on to Windows, not just the browser) and try to publish that same InfoPath form.

• Marked as answer by KelvinH Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Thanks Clayton, I'll try this out.

Cheers,

Kelvin

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:15 PM
  • After being able to publish using another profile, I deleted my main profile (the one I couldn't publish from) , re-logged in and everything works again! Thanks for your help, Clayton. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kelvin

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Phew, glad that worked instead of having to do something more drastic, but I sure wish we knew what actually caused that.  I never really would have guessed it was related to your profile until you did that test on another computer.  Nonetheless, glad it's over.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Hi Clayton,

I have a similar issue. Where i am unable to connect to the sharepoint sites using Info path form designer 2010. Its for all users. We use claims based authentication in our environment. I did configure Info Path services on the farm but not sure if i need to activate any features at the site collectioen or subsite level and I dont see any features related to Info path as well. BTW we are using sharepoint 2010 in our environment.

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Narmy,

I'm having the same problem as you... I can't add a receive data connection to my InfoPath form because of the

"InfoPath has encountered an error. The operation failed."

error when I type in my site URL.  Anyone know what's wrong?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:28 PM
  • I was having the same error - accessing any of the developer toosl - Code Editor, Loading Event, etc.

I fixed this by:

Opening InfoPath - Developer / Language / Programming - I saw that the setting was VB (I wanted C# anyway - and had probably not even installed VB with VS)...

Clicked Remove Code

Changed dropdown to C#

Click OK.

Viola... Code Editor will start...

In business....

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I know this is an old post but I just experienced a similar issue and was not able to find a solution. This was the only post I found with the specific error message I was receiving.

How I solved this issue:

I had added a new control into a repeating table, and it was causing the server to 'postback' (whatever that means!) which is why it would not publish. To solve this, I selected the repeating table and went into the Repeating Table Properties. In the browser forms tab, select 'Never.'

After saving the form would now publish!

Good luck!

Friday, April 26, 2013 1:33 PM