Invalid Resx File - It is being used by another process RRS feed

• Question

• I've suddenly started getting this error while working on a project and it stops me from loading my project:

Error 1 Invalid Resx file. The process cannot access the file 'I:[FILE PATH]\Form1.resx' because it is being used by another process.

I cant access Task Manager on the computer im using so cannot cancel any processes, also restarting the computer doesn't fix anything.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:40 PM

Answers

• I've suddenly started getting this error while working on a project and it stops me from loading my project:

Error 1 Invalid Resx file. The process cannot access the file 'I:[FILE PATH]\Form1.resx' because it is being used by another process.

I cant access Task Manager on the computer im using so cannot cancel any processes, also restarting the computer doesn't fix anything.

Since you have no administrative abilities to determine why the file is in use by some other process then what is your expectation of a response to your question? Only finding out what process is using the file will help you.

Resources in .Resx File Format

You aren't involved in a project where the project you are accessing is using any kind of source safe or source control are you? I'll guess the project files are on the local disk of the pc you are using so you probably need to contact your IT department or the administrator for the PC you are using to assist you.

La vida loca

• Marked as answer by Carl Cai Monday, January 19, 2015 10:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Did you manually edit or rename and files in the project? A form module has three files : vb, designer.vb, and resx. The base name of the three files all have to be the same. When you change the name property of the form VS should automatically change all three files.  It is possible that VS may not of been able to automatically change the names of the three file if another application like Notepad had one of these files opened.

jdweng

All replies

Since you have no administrative abilities to determine why the file is in use by some other process then what is your expectation of a response to your question? Only finding out what process is using the file will help you.

Resources in .Resx File Format

You aren't involved in a project where the project you are accessing is using any kind of source safe or source control are you? I'll guess the project files are on the local disk of the pc you are using so you probably need to contact your IT department or the administrator for the PC you are using to assist you.

La vida loca

• Did you manually edit or rename and files in the project? A form module has three files : vb, designer.vb, and resx. The base name of the three files all have to be the same. When you change the name property of the form VS should automatically change all three files.  It is possible that VS may not of been able to automatically change the names of the three file if another application like Notepad had one of these files opened.

jdweng