none
Variable Lifetime for MS 180-day WinCE 6.0 Eval. Kit RRS feed

• Question

• The text in our MS WinCE 6.0 Eval. version, which I loaded around 1/4/12 is the following:

“This Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3 Evaluation Kit includes full product functionality and is designed to run for 180 days." There was nothing about "up to", "about", or "around".  Apparently "designed to run" is different from "will run".  We're assuming that the 180-day time block starts at installation.

My being able to build the OSDesign expired yesterday, 5/9/12, at about 125 days, almost 2 months early.  I got the error message: Warning Localization FAILED: Could not find C:\WINCE600\...path\RelDir\­tsvc_dst.DLL|EXE|CPL”.  Also, at the bottom of the makeimg file, it says “Error: failed PB timebomb check”. Whether or not the file error is related, the "failed PB timebomb check" means you're expired according to MS. I tried building an OSDesign that built a couple of days earlier, but it wouldn't build now. The following is a link for what may or may not be a "bug" in the latest BSP_WINCE_ARM9_01_10_00:  http://www.windows-mobile-answers.com/microsoft/WindowsCE-Platform-Builder/30256141/localisation-of-timesrv-tsrvdst-warning-ce-50.aspx

I was told by someone else who searched the Web that others indicated an average of 120 days for the same Eval. kit.  So, you don't always get what you pay for, Eval. kits included.  My suggestion is that if you're using a CE Eval. kit and thinking seriously about doing a permanent buy, do it before 120 days, and don't believe the wrapper.  BTW, you also have to completely un-install the S/W before you install the permanent version (it says this on the package).  You can't pay the $995 and enter a key in the software.

Hopefully, this will help some of you out there not get stuck like we and apparently many others did.

Friday, May 11, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• I had the same experience WRT the need to completely reinstall after the timebomb went off, as did others who've posted on here.    IIRC, I got much closer to 180 days from my trial period, but I don't recall the exact # of days.  If there is a way to pay the $$$ and then enter a license key, I was unable to find it on this forum a few months ago.   Good luck.
    Friday, May 11, 2012 3:08 PM
  • What I'm hoping is that someone from MS will report this issue, and they will extend the lifetime of the WinCE 6.0 Eval. version to the full 180-days.  We've just lost 2 weeks of time due to being cut short almost 2 months.  For business, that's expensive.  If there is a known issue with a product, the company should try to orrect it for the customers.  If they didn't know about it before, they do now.  On the customer's side, it's a matter of trust or confidence.  If they don't change the run time, they should at least re-label the product to reflect the truth.

CM007

• Edited by CodeMan007 Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:54 PM