none
Not all installed voices available in System.Speech.Synthesis RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VB .Net app which uses System.Speech.Synthesis.  On my Windows 10 desktops (US English language) the TTS Settings shows three voices available - Microsoft David Mobile, Microsoft Zira Mobile, and Microsoft Mark Mobile.  But when I use the SpeechSynthesizer class GetInstalledVoices method, it only lists David and Zira.  Why can't it access Mark?  I have also tried the SAPI 5.4 SpeechLib COM interface SpVoice GetVoices method with the same result.  Also tested on multiple machines, including one running VS 2017 with the latest Windows 10 SDK.  Do I need to install something else in order to get Mark to work?  I have had similar complaints from users running other language settings (they could access two of the three available Microsoft voices).

Jeff

Saturday, May 13, 2017 11:26 PM

All replies

• The voices are not even the same, what you see in Windows 10 are the mobile voices, they work with Microsoft OS Software. In Speech you get the .Net voices. 

Strange but true. You can add the English Hazel by adding that language. If you remove it than again the voice stays. 

Probably we think the same about this. 

Success
    Cor

Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

The registry of your machine is messed up, it contains invalid voice configuration data.  The relevant key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens.  Underneath, you'll find the installed voices.

You might fix it by uninstalling voices you added, deleting bad voices in the registry or fixing the Language value.  Reinstalling is tricky, this is part of the Windows setup on Vista and up.  You'll need help from superuser.com if you can't get it fixed.  Or your setup DVD.

Hope it is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:57 AM