What should I use? RRS feed

• Question

• Developing a new ERD, Database, and Software Program

MS Development Questions:

Currently I’m in my last year at the University of Phoenix working for my BS in Software Development. I have a rather unique opportunity to program a total solution for a local school district and beyond. I need some advice choosing the correct solution for this upcoming project and need to consider it may be used by schools nationally and even on a global scale; if deployed globally I believe we’ll need to insure compatibility standards now and throughout development, correct?

We are tasked with developing a complete solution using a popular, stable, mainstream “Best Practices” Software and Database Management System, with excellent support and affordability… naturally Microsoft and Oracle were our first choices. After a detailed review of each platform, we chose Microsoft for its support and affordability factors. At this point we need help selecting and confirming which programs we should be using to properly design, develop, and expedite this project.

So far this is what we’re thinking we’ll need to use for collecting the business and user information, creating the ERD model, creating the DBMS, and then programming and managing the project.

The following is what we've been able to identify for design, DBMS, and IDE coding solution.

1. Visio and/or Excel flowchart design for the ERD model
    2. Microsoft's SQL Server 2012 or newer for the DBMS
    3. Microsoft's Visual Studio to manage the project and our Team

Questions:

1. Are we on the right track with the above products or should we be considering different and/or additional programs?
    2. Should we use MS Team Foundation and why?
    3. What programming language should we use for development, Java, C++, C#, and why?

Any information and/or feedback would be appreciated!

Sincerely,

Keith Green

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:44 AM

All replies

• <shudder> (sorry this is a bugbear of mine)

You cannot possibly answer a question about what technology to use without some understanding of what you need to deliver. Should you even be using a database?

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:06 AM
  • Thanks for responding... The new program will allow the schools administrative staff to completely control every aspect of data entry, forms, and reporting for student enrollment, orientation, attendance, schedules, grading, activities, fund raising, and so on...

The relational database will most certainly grow very large and need to be Web based for parents, the school district, and others to securely access from the Web.

Basically this new software will replace the schools existing software program(s) thereby providing them one complete software solution, locally, nationally, and on a global scale where possible.

Respectfully,

Keith E. Green

Sunday, May 24, 2015 3:24 PM
  • I would recommend you take a look at SOA and Autonmous Components for that, since at first glance I don't think your requirements are a good match for a ERD model

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 9:02 AM