Ethics in Software Development. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

Why do software developers do not the design and simply starts to code. Why [is] uml is created in the first place.

It is a general practice that which I have seen in software industry. Do the  people forgot the quality of software.

Why do the software companies encourage such things and their is no process implementation in the projects . Where we are going now .

I do not understand.

I would like to know what you think about this matter.

PL

Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:12 PM

All replies

• The answer to your question is f-ing complex, to use your language about UML. Here is my take on it.

1. The average human being sits about as high as your raise the bar. A few individuals will take time to excel, some will always fail, but the most spend their life in mediocrity, trying to stay just enough ahead of their fellow human beings to remain employed.
    2. Developers are human beings.
    3. Technology is being projectile vomited at us at such a pace nobody is truly competent
    4. Shiny things are stuck in our faces, which means many advanced developers can write a generic Singleton that is thread safe, but mess up on organization of projects and the concept that a method has a single return value (yes, all rules have exceptions)
    5. Management rarely gives time to design or do it over.
    6. Refactoring and testing are considered luxuries to be used when NOT under the gun
    7. Developers are almost always "under the gun" (reread #6)
    8. Management in most companies are business men, not technologists - ie, they have no clue why the software is bad, only that it is bad

I spend a lot of time "fixing" companies with bad development practices and find management generally searches for silver bullets (hire only rock stars, force TDD and Agile) rather than bring in someone that understands the conceptual part of development. In addition, I find most Agile implementations suck, as the developers are given a mandate, but no time to learn what they have to do to have a chance in ____ of success.

--
    Peace and Grace,
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP: Visual C# Architecture

Think Outside the Box! 
    </DI V>

Hello everyone,

Why do software developers do not the design and simply starts to code. Why [is] uml is created in the first place.

It is a general practice that which I have seen in software industry. Do the  people forgot the quality of software.

Why do the software companies encourage such things and their is no process implementation in the projects . Where we are going now .

I do not understand.

I would like to know what you think about this matter.

PL

Think outside the box
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Greetings,

Very good answer, Thank you.

PL

Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:00 AM
  • i guess one of the reason is the time to market; the moment an account is won; sales passes on to projects; who (sales) promised loads to customers, while developer community doesnt agree to it; End pressure builds up to deliver; WHich is passed on to the delivery team; which is passed on to the end customer, who is eventually frustrated; the cycle goes-on-and-on; software is fragile; but how many understand this?? its all in pursuit of going to market to beat the competition;

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:45 PM