none
Windows CE 6 Wireless Access Point RRS feed

• Question

• I need to set up a wireless access point using WINCE6. I know it is possible with WINCE5, but I have not a clue how to go about it with WINCE6.

Thanks in Advance,

TJ

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:32 PM

All replies

• Native WiFi support has been removed in Windows Embedded CE 6.0 (and reintroduced in Windows Embedded Compact 7): the docs still mention a variable SYSGEN_NWIFI_AP which is not actually present. 

If you want to implement an AP with Windows Embedded CE 6.0 you have to do it completely on your own

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Luca, thank you for your response, would you have any idea where I could start implementing an access point with WINCE6? I have found an open source soft access point called chilispot, but it is for linux platforms. 
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Honestly I never used the AP component in CE 5.0 nor I had the chance to build a device running as an AP. I sincerly cannot give you any hint
    Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Ok thank you so very much Luca.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Hi TJ,

Did you come up with any solution?

It is an old question but hopefully with the passage of over a year of time I'm wondering if someone can suggest a definite path for implementing setting up a wireless access point in WinCE6.

"If you want to implement an AP with Windows Embedded CE 6.0 you have to do it completely on your own" --> Has anyone reading the forum got it to work?

I want something so that I can connect to the WinCE device from iPhones / iPads as well as Android and Windows Phone devices without the Bluetooth hassles and limitations of iOS and WinPhone 7.  If I could set up an Access Point on the WinCE device they could all connect over WIFI.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Hello TJ,

WinCE 6.0 doesn't have a native-WiFi included, as Luca pointed out in this chain. Its re introduced in WinCE 7 (Windows Embedded Compact 7), but with few restrictions. 

For Access-Point solution you need a WLAN Miniport-Driver, which is Native-WiFi compliant. Native-WiFi framework should also support ExtAP Mode, which is not the case with Native-WiFi framework provided by WEC 7. 

Windows 7 has a Native-WiFi Framework, which supports ExtAP (AP), ExtSTA (STA) and NetMon (Monitor) modes. WEC7 has restricted version of Native-WiFi framework with only ExtSTA (STA) and NetMon (Monitor) modes. 

So conclusion is its not possible to implement AP, with neither WinCE 6 nor WinCE 7

Regards

Deepu

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Hello everyone,

It is possible to provide AP functionality on Windows embedded and CE(NDIS 5 based) . Saying that ,how it'll be is ? It'll be similar in design to SoftAP under WinXP(NDIS 5)  and could not be based on Virtual-Wifi provided by NDIS 6 of Windows. Its like we cant borrow support from Microsoft , but do it Independent (and believe me its even possible to have both Station and AP at same time as in Desktop ) . The functionality has to be provided entirely via Software stack independent of OS.

PS:I guess this revisit on this thread after a long time is unusual,But I believe, I could enlighten many with little i knew.

With regards,

Braghadees 

Embedded system technologist

Monday, December 29, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Hi All,

Intelligraphics has come up with Wi-Fi Soft Access Point(WLAN SoftAP) solution on Windows Embedded OS(WinCE6, WEC7, WEC2013). Checkout below link

https://www.prweb.com/releases/intelligraphics_delivers_windows_embedded_compact_7_wec7_igx_wi_fi_soft_ap_for_improved_operational_efficiency_and_safety_in_mobile_devices/prweb16123725.htm

Thanks
    Karan.

• Edited by karanIn Wednesday, March 6, 2019 3:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by karanIn Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:49 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 3:44 AM