Capture all VPN traffic? RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded Microsoft Network Monitor and I'm trying to look at all the traffic going on on the remote network. I enabled NDISWANBH (WAN Miniport) only to capture the PPP traffic. I have set up PPTP VPN and can connect to (and browse) the remote network just fine.

But when I tried to capture all the traffic on the VPN network, it only showed my computer's IP address (the local one when connected to the network 192.168.1.200) and the remote router's IP address (192.168.1.1).

I'm looking to capture what the other computers and devices (that are on the remote network) are doing. How do I do that?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:48 PM

All replies

• When you start network monitor, you need to select NDISWAN from select networks. You should see this option on the start page when you launch Network Monitor.

BTW, Message Analyzer (http://blogs.technet.com/MessageAnalyzer), the eventual replacement for Network Monitor, can also capture tunnel traffic, but intstead it uses a firewall driver to capture the data.  Perhaps this is another option for you.

Thanks,

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Paul E Long Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:44 PM