Excel Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Can the Excel add-in authenticate - using windows authentication -  as described below?

First try [domain]\[user name], if this fails [server name]\[user name]. This the way windows authentication works on IE and other web browsers.

The reason for the question is that Excel is failing to connect to a server which is not in the same domain as the Excel add-in.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, January 25, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It can be implemented, we have successfully deployed this. Excel authentication works as described in the original message, without creating a trusted domain, as long as the passwords are synchronized.

In fact, this is what I would expect because Excel is just another client consuming MDS web services and the authentication described in the original message works with IE or a bespoke client.

As it turned out, the reason why it did not work seems to be the SP1 install making a mess out of the existing web.config file (although I am not 100% sure about this).

Kind regards,

Modesto

• Marked as answer by M Vega Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:13 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I don't think we can implement this solution. Master Data Server based on windows authentication and windows user account is the only valid credential. I haven't tested it, but one possible way was create a trusted domain to workaround this issue.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Hello,

It can be implemented, we have successfully deployed this. Excel authentication works as described in the original message, without creating a trusted domain, as long as the passwords are synchronized.

In fact, this is what I would expect because Excel is just another client consuming MDS web services and the authentication described in the original message works with IE or a bespoke client.

As it turned out, the reason why it did not work seems to be the SP1 install making a mess out of the existing web.config file (although I am not 100% sure about this).

Kind regards,

Modesto

• Marked as answer by M Vega Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:13 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:58 AM