none
Temporary Files in Content.MSO and Content.Word RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I noticed there are files being generated in Content.MSO and Content.Word. Sometimes the overall size can be pretty big.

I do some Word automation via C#. Is there a reason why these files are being generated? I'd assume they're temporary files but how come they're not being deleted? Could it be my code not handling the Word Interop properly? Please advise.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Stevo

I don't see anything like that on my system, in any TEMP folder. Usually, I wouldn't expect a desktop application to generate things in Temporary INTERNET Files...

What kind of files are these (file extension)? I know that Word does tend to generate some fairly large temp files when graphics are being worked on (doesn't matter if by the user or via automation). If you're unsure whether it's your code, you'd have to monitor the contents of these folders while your code is running vs. not running.

Generally, I don't think automation would generate temp files any more or differently than an end-user performing the same task in the UI. If your code isn't releasing things that would show up in "orphaned" processes, I think. Or, you'd get *.tmp and files beginning with a tilde (~) left over in the same folder as the document file if you were "crashing" Word rather than closing it properly.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, December 21, 2012 10:00 AM

All replies

• Could you please be more specific about where you're seeing these files? A proper file path, for example?

Also, which version of Word is involved?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Using Office 2010, but I believe Office 2007 and possibly earlier have this too.

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO

and

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word

They look like temporary files that are created by Microsoft Office. Not sure why it not being cleaned up though.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Hi Stevo

I don't see anything like that on my system, in any TEMP folder. Usually, I wouldn't expect a desktop application to generate things in Temporary INTERNET Files...

What kind of files are these (file extension)? I know that Word does tend to generate some fairly large temp files when graphics are being worked on (doesn't matter if by the user or via automation). If you're unsure whether it's your code, you'd have to monitor the contents of these folders while your code is running vs. not running.

Generally, I don't think automation would generate temp files any more or differently than an end-user performing the same task in the UI. If your code isn't releasing things that would show up in "orphaned" processes, I think. Or, you'd get *.tmp and files beginning with a tilde (~) left over in the same folder as the document file if you were "crashing" Word rather than closing it properly.

Friday, December 21, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Hi Steveo,

Just noticed this thread while looking for something else.

I have the same types of temporary files in the IE cache folder. By opening the Content.Word files with notepad, they appear to be the text or html of emails being created or replies being created using Outlook. The Content.MSO appear to be the caused by a copy (control C) using an Office application. This appears to be the case from Office XP and forward, at least as far as Office 2010 which I am currently running.

Regards, Ira

Ira Grollman

Monday, January 6, 2014 7:10 PM