none
.NET 4 installation error 0x80070643 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've got a problem with the installation of .net framework 4 on a windows 2003 server standard edition sp2 32bit. I ran the installation as administrator user. I have already applied all the solutions that i found on this and many other sites. I have got 2,56Gb of space on the c:\ drive. I have already clean with cleanup all the previous versions of .net and reinstall all (1, 2, 3, 3.5)from windows update with success and test with setupverifier. I load the log of the failed installation end the vslog in skydrive but the forum not give me the autorization to link - thanks for any suggestion

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hi to All,

i can consider the thread closed with a terrible ending.. not even the help of microsoft solve the problem, even if during the applying of one of the procedure suggested from microsoft, one of the 3 disks of the raid5 of the server is defunct!!! the company have not renew the warranty support for the server and the windows installation was corrupted after 1 days!! incredible!! a raid with 3 disks corrupted with only 1 disk defunct! So i have replaced the server with a new one, with vmware esx5.1 and reinstalled a virtual windows server 2003 standard sp2 but in 64bit version, installed with no problem the .net 4 full, copy the data from the raid with sysrecue (not even the vmware cold clone was able to convert the phisycal server) and seize all the roles of the server. The old and only dc wido a snapshot backup but a file incremental backup..

Thank to all

• Marked as answer by Flipmendisair Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:29 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:28 AM

All replies

• Post your link as a text string. You can do that by inserting a space in the string, after the http, for example.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:05 PM
  • thanks pvdg42, below the two links without https://

skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=658234BE574A3234!106&authkey=!AFjRJm6BO1LrEos

skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=658234BE574A3234!105&authkey=!ADevB4C3MsRTPRU

Thanks for any suggestions

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:20 PM
  • The log shows several instances of "HttpWebRequests Aborted/Sec[~]HttpWebRequests Failed".

Please follow these steps to use the standalone installer:

Follow these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:40 PM
  • I have already try to execute the  work around to reset the ACL on GAC dirs , but probably i don't understand the correct syntax because the command line send me an error to any try. The OS is windows server 2003 32bit, for the administrator full privileges i click the right button of the mouse on the executable and select the administrator user and uncheck the limited permissions execution. what i wrong in the command? the errors says - cannot choose the /a option - or - impossibile to find the file specified - or - invalid option or argument 'c:\windows\assembly'

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:31 AM
  • To execute the command, you must first open a Windows Command Prompt window with full administrative privileges.

Then copy the command below to your clipboard:

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T

Click on the icon at the left of the Command Prompt windows title bar to open the menu, then choose Edit->Paste to place the command above at the prompt. To run the command, hit your Enter key.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Hi pvdg42, now i execute the command with success, i follow all yours instructions but the installation fails again. Below the links for the logs

skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=658234BE574A3234!107&authkey=!AD4azaHlfY2KphU

skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=658234BE574A3234!108&authkey=!AKkKZuOfT72r3w8

in my opinion after a lot of hours of installation log analysis i see always the same thing. The rollback start at the serviceinstall point, precisely when the installer try to install the windows presentation foundation font cache v4 and the .Net runtime optimization service NGEN v4. Probably there is a problem with the installation of these services?

thanks for the help!

Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:28 PM
  • I have no further ideas, but I did find a thread on Error #0x80070643 , where this answer was provided by Alexander Sun:

"First, I recommend you create a new user account with administrator privileges to avoid account corruption problems.

Second, you can try SubInACL Tool to repair file and registry permissions: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx

If you encounter any error during using SubInACL Tool, I recommend you take a look at this page: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/06/17/8613982.aspx

Third, you can try to repair Windows Installer via the steps:

This article I think is helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651/en-us#reso1

Method 1: Determine whether the Windows Installer engine is functioning

1. Click Start , type cmd in the Search box or click Run then type cmd in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    2. At the command prompt, type MSIExec, and then press Enter.
    3. If the MSI engine is working, there should be no error messages. If you receive an error message, note the error. If you are proficient in how to use search engines, you can use the error message to help locate additional content to troubleshoot the issue.
    4. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 2.

Method 2: Make sure that the Windows Installer service is not set to Disabled

1. Click Start , type services.msc in the Search box or click Run then type services.msc in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open Services.
    2. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type box is set to Disabled, change it to Manual.
    4. Click OK to close the Properties window.
    5. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Start. The service should start without errors.
    6. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 3.

Method 3: Check your version of Windows Installer, and upgrade to the latest version if it is needed

Important This method applies to Windows XP, to Windows Vista, to Windows Server 2003, to Windows Server 2003 R2, and to Windows Server 2008 only.

1. Click Start , type cmd in the Search box or click Run then type services.msc in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    2. At the Command Prompt window, type MSIExec, and then press Enter. If the MSI engine is working, there should be no error messages, and a separate dialog box should open. This shows the MSI version.
    3. If the installer version is not version 4.5, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information and for a link to download Windows installer 4.5:

942288 Windows Installer 4.5 is available

1. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 4.

Method 4: Reregister the installer engine

Important This method applies to Windows XP and to Windows Server 2000 only.

1. Click Start, click Run then type cmd in the dialog, and then click Command Prompt.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter after each line:

·         MSIExec /unregister

·         MSIExec /regserver

1. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the issue still occurs after these steps, I recommend:

• Start>>Type “regedit”
    • Check this path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]. If you can find a sub key “Enum”under this path, I recommend you delete this key.

NOTE: Before you delete this key ,please copy your registry. To do so: Right click the key “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]”.  Then select “Export”, and save your copy file."

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

Please Check This

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Hi Quan Lee,

i have already navigate into the varungupta blog without success... Probably i haven't try all the possibility but sure many of those, i proceed with the pvdg42 last instructions

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Hi pvdg42,

i have a problem in the log of the reset.cmd command. these are the first lines of the log -

LookupAccountName : HKEY_CURRENT_USER:restricted 1337 Struttura dell'ID di protezione non valida.

Current object HKEY_CURRENT_USER will not be processed

LookupAccountName : HKEY_CURRENT_USER:restricted 1337 Struttura dell'ID di protezione non valida.

Current object HKEY_CURRENT_USER will not be processed

LookupAccountName : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:restricted 1337 Struttura dell'ID di protezione non valida.

Current object HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE will not be processed

LookupAccountName : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:restricted 1337 Struttura dell'ID di protezione non valida.

Current object HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE will not be processed

the rest of the execution is ok, for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and all the files permissions. I follow all the rest of the instructions correctly but the installation failed again. What is rhe reason of the first lines of the reset.cmd log?

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Hi Flipmendisair,

The following articles may describe your issue or help your issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/dd8740c2-7ebc-42d5-bac9-5c7df50a1cb9/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840885

In my mind, you can also use this tool to fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Share what the tool output on your www.skydrive.com

By the way, could you share your vslogs.cab file again with this tool:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Hi Barry Wang,

thanks for the suggestions,

i have some problems with the instructions of the "security id structure is invalid" thread because the automatic hotfix don't work on windows server 2003 standard 32bit. Did you konw if there is a "manual version"  of the "automatic solution for security problems in windows"?

I run the netfxrepair a lot of times winthout success and the hotfix fo the kb840885 is only for windows2000

thank you so much

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Hi all,

the installation failed again

below the link for the vslog and the installation log and the log of the netfxrepair

skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=658234BE574A3234!109&authkey=!ADsg-2OsbySUeMI

skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=658234BE574A3234!110&authkey=!AHaUVr9NEP5pgpI

thanks a lot

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:44 AM
  • Hi Flipmendisair,

Just reviewed the log you provided, and I found the following error:

MSI (E:\7196efbf39b3a6f6d88d\netfx_Core_x86.msi) Installation failed.  Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20130430_121612344-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt
    [4/30/2013, 12:20:59]PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)

I think it is worth to try the solutions mentioned in the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us

As mentioned in the resolution part of above article, please

To troubleshoot this issue, try to repair the MSI software update registration corruption issues by using the steps in method 1. If that doesn't work, try to repair the .NET Framework by using the steps in method 2.

To avoid any problem caused by the installation package, I suggest you download a new copy of the standalone installer from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718 

Or check the checksum by using http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11533 and the following is the command line and the result we expect.

C:\Users\alanyao>C:\Users\alanyao\Downloads\test\fciv.exe "C:\Users\alanyao\Downloads\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe" -both
    //
    // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
    //
                    MD5                             SHA-1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    251743dfd3fda414570524bac9e55381 58da3d74db353aad03588cbb5cea8234166d8b99
    c:\users\alanyao\downloads\dotnetfx40_full_x86_x64.exe

If you encounter any problem, please let me know which step it occurs and what is the error. And get the log again with windows installer verbose logging enabled(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/03/29/403575.aspx).

Thanks,

Alan Yao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hi Alan and thank you for the help, i'm following your instructions but i have some problems with the kb/976982 because i can't open the windowsupdate.diagcab file, the system cannot find a program to open it. If i try to execute the alternative fix-it of the kb/971187 i receive an error from the executable "impossible to execute the auto-fix for the actual configuration of your operative system" but the system supported section list my os in the supported, win 2k3 standard 32 bit sp2 ita. I try to execute the sfc /scannow command but receive another warning that say "you must have administrator privileges and a command console must be opened" . I'am always most confused..

The server is the pdc of the lan and i'm a little scared on the operations to execute but i must install the .net4

Now i correct the subinacl script of Aaron Astebner and i'm runnig it without errors, after that i enable the debug of windows installer, try another time to install the .net4 and post all the logs. i forget, the installer is ok for the checksum control

Thanks again

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Hi All,

unfortunatly i cannot run the fix-it of the kb/976982/en-us because i am not able to run .diagcab files. Tomorrow i rerun sfc /scannnow with the requested cd rom inserted from the command to restore the msdt.exe file necessary to run diagcab files. Below the log file after the correct execution of the Aaron subinacl script and the bedug enabled on installer

skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=658234BE574A3234!111&authkey=!AFSEJjDXjFcJAJU

probably it is equal to the others..

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Hi Flipmendisair,

I am sorry to hear you encountered so many problems when try the instructions. I think there should be some system level problems that we cannot expect. I don't think system restore is a bad idea unless you are very interested in the root cause of this error.

A interesting thing is I cannot find any error code related to 1603(generally it should be something like "return value : 3" as 3 means fatal error). Maybe we should consider install the latest windows installer for win2003. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa371185(v=vs.85).aspx

In addition, I just found a small problem in the log file, but I think it is worth to have a check, since I did have experience on similar issue before.

I noticed the tempfolder property was set to a directory that is not the default value.

MSI (s) (94:50) [22:02:14:829]: Dir (target): Key: TARGETDIR , Object: E:\
    MSI (s) (94:50) [22:02:14:829]: Dir (target): Key: TempFolder , Object: C:\temp\
    MSI (s) (94:50) [22:02:14:829]: Dir (target): Key: WindowsFolder , Object: C:\WINDOWS\
    MSI (s) (94:50) [22:02:14:829]: Dir (target): Key: ProgramFilesFolder_x86 , Object: C:\Programmi\

Did you set it to that folder? I want to make sure there is no problem with the system environment variables.

So please check values of  TEMP and TMP for both the user variable and system variable. Here is an example for your reference:

Thanks,

Alan Yao [MSFT]

Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Hi Alan,

thanks for the help, i'have already installed some days ago the installer 4.5 latest version for srv2k3 and , yes, i change the environment variable %temp% to c:\temp

Thanks again

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Hi All,

yesterday i have opened a payment support call and i'm working with microsoft to solve the problem. If i solve i will post the solution

Thanks again to all

Friday, May 3, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Hi Flipmendisair,

Thanks for sharing the current status.

It is a better chioce to open a paid support ticket, since you have tried almost all possible known solutions and the support ticket can allow our engineer perform live troubleshooting.

Look forward to your update.

Thanks,

Alan Yao [MSFT]

Monday, May 6, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Hi to All,

i can consider the thread closed with a terrible ending.. not even the help of microsoft solve the problem, even if during the applying of one of the procedure suggested from microsoft, one of the 3 disks of the raid5 of the server is defunct!!! the company have not renew the warranty support for the server and the windows installation was corrupted after 1 days!! incredible!! a raid with 3 disks corrupted with only 1 disk defunct! So i have replaced the server with a new one, with vmware esx5.1 and reinstalled a virtual windows server 2003 standard sp2 but in 64bit version, installed with no problem the .net 4 full, copy the data from the raid with sysrecue (not even the vmware cold clone was able to convert the phisycal server) and seize all the roles of the server. The old and only dc wido a snapshot backup but a file incremental backup..

Thank to all

• Marked as answer by Flipmendisair Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:29 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:28 AM