Converting a database from sql server to sql server express RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I've got a database I wrote in SQL Server 2008 r2. I need to convert this to sql server 2008 r2 express.

How do I go about accomplishing this?

Any help apreciated.

Regards

Sean.

SF
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can take the backup of the database on SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer and then restore the backup on SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.

Prior to database backup just check are you using any of the features of SQL Server 2008 R2 which are not supported in SQL Server 2008 R2 Express such as Data Compression, Table Partitioning, Transparent Data Encryption or Change Data Capture of SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition on a database. You can check the same by referring to following article Identify database features restricted to a specific edition of SQL Server 2008 R2

Hope that Helps!

Cheers,
    Ashish Kumar Mehta

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem and Vote as Helpful if a Post is Helpful!

• Proposed as answer by Ashish Kumar Mehta Friday, March 25, 2011 11:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:26 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Hi:

I've got a database I wrote in SQL Server 2008 r2. I need to convert this to sql server 2008 r2 express.

Any help apreciated.

Regards

Sean.

SF

Hi Sean,

In addition to the previous reply, we can also detach the database from your SQL Server 2008 R2 instance and attach it to the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express instance.

Please see:

How to: Move a Database Using Detach and Attach (Transact-SQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187858.aspx

Detaching and Attaching Databases
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190794.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can take the backup of the database on SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer and then restore the backup on SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.

Prior to database backup just check are you using any of the features of SQL Server 2008 R2 which are not supported in SQL Server 2008 R2 Express such as Data Compression, Table Partitioning, Transparent Data Encryption or Change Data Capture of SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition on a database. You can check the same by referring to following article Identify database features restricted to a specific edition of SQL Server 2008 R2

Hope that Helps!

Cheers,
    Ashish Kumar Mehta

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem and Vote as Helpful if a Post is Helpful!

• Proposed as answer by Ashish Kumar Mehta Friday, March 25, 2011 11:33 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Hi:

Any help apreciated.

Regards

Sean.

SF

Hi Sean,

In addition to the previous reply, we can also detach the database from your SQL Server 2008 R2 instance and attach it to the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express instance.

Please see:

How to: Move a Database Using Detach and Attach (Transact-SQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187858.aspx

Detaching and Attaching Databases
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190794.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:00 AM