URL Rewriting / Post back / Viewstate current issue RRS feed

• Question

• User-736672885 posted

Hello,

The premise of my problem seems to be a simple change of server, from IIS 5.2 on a Windows 2000, to IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003 web serve, both running .NET 1.1.

I have been using Scott Mitchell's tutorial on URL rewriting (haven't got the URL to hand but everybody probably knows of it). This has worked fine for the last 6 months on the original configuration stated, and locally on my Windows XP machine. I am also using the Actionless form override method he describes in the same post to keep the URL nice and friendly on post back.

However, since the change of web server, now when a post back occurs, such as change of drop down list or a button is clicked, the page refreshes, but the post back isn't occuring, it is causing the page to simply reload in its initial state (this is what I think it is), backed up simply outputting the text 'Not posted back' from the page_load, when the page refreshes.

I have trawled the forum and the Internet for a couple of days trying to figure out the problem. But no luck. The closest one was the following post http://forums.asp.net/thread/1115747.aspx, which describes the use of the tutorial and the actionless form, but the postback not persisting, with the final useful comment providing a solution of overriding the HTML text writer and the action tag, which in fact the actionless form does anyway.

I have seen posts concerning the validation of a page, however I have no validation directly on the page, and through a number of tests, this seems to be an irrelevant path to pursue.

I have also tried context.rewritepath, to set the action tag to nothing and the rewritten URL, but the same problem occurs.

I keep wondering if I have overlooked something really simple, but I am sure I have been quite thorough. I just wonder if it is do with IIS 6, and whether it deals with the handling requests in more strict manner then IIS 5.2.

I also set a simple check of Page.IsPostBack, writing the result to screen, and on every attempt the page says it hasn't posted back. All other pages, not related to the URL rewriting work as they should do in respect to post back events.

If anybody could provide a suggestion or point me in the right direction I would be really grateful, as you can imagine as a developer you want to understand why it doesn't work even if it means pulling all your hair out, instead of settling for using IIS 5.2, which maybe the case I can't sort this out!

Thanks,

Pete Nash

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:23 AM

All replies

• User1821244595 posted

Did you ever resolve this?  I am getting *exactly* the same thing.

My postback works on "normal" pages, but pages such as .com/products/ (i.e. re-written), the postback value is always false.

If I access the same page using the aspx equivalent and hit the submit button, postback is true.

James

Saturday, May 19, 2007 6:02 PM