Network IP address for BGPNAT01 in Azure Stack (Development Kit) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm installing the Azure Stack Development Kit and have come up to the step Network Configuration for BGPNAT01. That's #6 under "Deploy the development kit" at https docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-run-powershell-script

The options are DHCP or Static IP. My question is does it share the same IP address as the Hyper-V host (where I am running this installer from), or do I give it a second static IP address? There is no DHCP server and the host itself is using a static IP address.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:54 PM

Answers

• when using static I assign a 2nd IP address during the build - so I believe you do need two IPs; it's not called out very strongly in documentation though...
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:25 PM

All replies

• when using static I assign a 2nd IP address during the build - so I believe you do need two IPs; it's not called out very strongly in documentation though...
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:25 PM
  • Hello,

See the following under Azure Stack Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-deploy#network

Both the host IP and the new IP assigned to the MAS-BGPNAT01 (by DHCP or static IP) must be able to access Internet. Ports 80 and 443 are used under the graph.windows.net and login.microsoftonline.com domains.

Internet access

Azure Stack requires access to the Internet, either directly or through a transparent proxy. Azure Stack does not support the configuration of a web proxy to enable Internet access.  Both the host IP and the new IP assigned to the MAS-BGPNAT01 (by DHCP or static IP) must be able to access Internet. Ports 80 and 443 are used under the graph.windows.net and login.microsoftonline.com domains.

DHCP or Static IP

Make sure there is a DHCP server available on the network that the NIC connects to. If DHCP is not available, you must prepare an additional static IPv4 network besides the one used by host. You must provide that IP address and gateway as a deployment parameter. Only IPv4 is supported. You cannot create IPv6 networks.

You can see examples in the list of deployment parameters.

Gary Gallanes

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:15 AM
  • I believe the issue that is being raised is that you cannot use one IP on the host and re-use same IP assigned to the MAS-BGPNAT01

In my experience I've not been able to re-use the same single IP address.  It's not explicitly stated above, it's hinted ;)

The step where you prepare the VHD tests for IP address availability and pings itself and denies install using that same IP address... so in essence you need 2 IP addresses when installing.

• Edited by Todd Christ Friday, November 10, 2017 8:35 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 8:31 PM
  • Correctly interpreted, and many thanks for sharing your experience as answer.

The other reply provided ambiguous documentation and mentioned "two IP addresses need to access internet" - these could well be two internal IP addresses and all VMs have direct internet access.

Monday, November 13, 2017 11:35 PM