none
help point a noob in the right direction? RRS feed

• Question

• HI, I am pretty new to development - I have already built the logic for an app that is currently hosted on a custom platform and I want to redo the app so it is not dependent on the platform. I think this should be relatively easy app, but I have been looking through developer training materials that go over lots of things that dont apply to my specific app. I could really use some help ... I know I need to do additional study but want to at least be sure I am looking in the right direction.

The app is very simple, right now it consists of 5 basic pages that the user walks through in a wizard-like sequence. The first page asks for customer name and creates a record in a table. The 2nd and 3rd pages have fields for the user to enter more data that provides additional data for the table created in page 1. Then finally the 4th and 5th pages report back to the user some calculations I made on the data they input. 

It is very simple logic, I can model in excel in only a few minutes. But I have been struggling to do it in ASP.net. I can enter information into the database from page 1, but then when the user moves to page 2 I am confused about how to have them enter the data and still have it insert to the same record that was created on page 1.

Sorry for the noob question - Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:08 PM

Answers

• 1. the multi update db way, as in lv1 ur sql is "insert....;SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID();" and after that u save the ID u keep doing in l2-3 "update..."

2. u make a class in the session that travels with the user along l1-3 and in 3 u insert everything (i think its better)

• Marked as answer by afewell Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:39 PM

All replies

• 1. the multi update db way, as in lv1 ur sql is "insert....;SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID();" and after that u save the ID u keep doing in l2-3 "update..."

2. u make a class in the session that travels with the user along l1-3 and in 3 u insert everything (i think its better)

• Marked as answer by afewell Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:39 PM
  • You could also store the values of those form fields until the end of the wizard and insert at the end
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:58 PM