none
Pasting mulitple rows from excel into an access web app table which includes a lookup field RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In my access web app I have a table with multiple columns, one of which is a look-up field.  I can copy and paste rows from a similarly formatted excel document into the table, but the look-up field shows an error.  The error is displayed even when the value is a valid look-up value.  If you click into the field, the pasted value is erased and replaced with the "find..." prompt.  Once you have clicked into the field, the same value can be paste in and with no error.

This is a problem because I have large amounts of data to move into the tables (1000s or rows) and do not want to have to touch each row.

How can I move rows/records from an excel workbook into an access web app table?

Thanks for your help,

Gunnar

• Edited by NewToThis99 Friday, October 14, 2016 12:46 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2016 12:45 AM

Answers

• Alternatively you can create a desktop database, connect it to the web db and to the Excel file, and run some append queries.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, we are unable to automate Excel or other application in Access Web app.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day! 

Regards,

Celeste

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:05 AM
  • I'm not looking to automate, I would just like to be able to paste rows.  It works in some cases, but not in others.  For example, it seems to work when the value starts with a number but not if it starts with a letter.

Any ideas?

I'm using Access Web Apps for SharePoint 2016

Friday, October 14, 2016 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

What is your Office version?

What error do you get? What is your data type for the field looking up?

I could successfully paste multiple rows with look-up fields and I am using Office 2016.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:35 AM
  • Alternatively you can create a desktop database, connect it to the web db and to the Excel file, and run some append queries.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:44 AM