Firefox Update Process causes Windows to Freeze

General discussion

• In Windows 8 Developer Preview x64 (both with developer tools and without) if you go to "Firefox Button => Help => About" and there is an update available, then it will automatically start to download that update. Sometimes it will download a few megabytes, but most often it will not download any. Anyway, no matter how many MB it downloads, the entire Windows OS freezes when or shortly after it starts to download the update. This applies to Firefox 7 Beta (updating to Firefox 8 beta) for sure, although the update process has been similar in most recent versions of Firefox.

To be clear, this is not a problem with downloading files in itself - I can still download files the regular way (using both Firefox and IE). I believe it is a problem with low level sockets that only shows up when they are used the way that firefox does to download the update. However, I'm not entirely sure how that is...

For anybody who is having the same problem, you can get around it by downloading the new version from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/ rather than using the built-in updater.

Thanks for your help!
    Monday, October 24, 2011 2:34 PM

All replies

• I also suggest to post this issue in Firefox forum, since it is pre-Beta version of Windows 8 such issues are expected.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:58 AM