none
Downgrade SSDT 15.9.1 to 15.8.0 for use with Attunity drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to use the Attunity drivers in SSIS packages.  The problem is that the Attunity drivers are not recognized in SSDT version 15.9.1.

The release notes for SSDT say to use version 15.8.0, if I need the Attunity drivers.  The problem is, that I can't install 15.8.0.  Even if I grab the 15.8.0 from the previous releases page.  When I install it, SSDT auto updates to 15.9.1 during the install.  I've done this on fresh VM's that have never had SSDT installed.

How can I get 15.8.0 installed or use the Attunity drivers with 15.9.1?

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 1:53 AM

All replies

• I managed to get this up and running, fortunately noticed the note about the Attunity drivers prior to the process.

I however did not install with an internet connection, so I did an offline install.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlmeditation/2018/06/21/how-to-install-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt-offline-with-no-internet-connection/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-2017

Ensure also there's no prior SSIS/SSAS/SSRS installations in VS

Best Wishes, The Redman; If something helps, please help show it by voting, if it solves, bonus!

Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:13 AM
  • While dealing with my own issues, you might also want to review

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SQL-Server-Integration-Services/Microsoft-Connector-for-Oracle-is-released-for-SQL-Server-2019/ba-p/565923

It seems to imply that this is used for SSDT

1. SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)

Microsoft Connector for Oracle has is shipped in SSDT for VS 2017 since version 15.9.0, as well as in SSIS projects for VS 2019. Users do not need extra installation of Oracle connector when designing packages targeting SQL Server 2019.

Given they've had around 3 releases of the SSDT, all of which suggest earlier versions for Attunity a new driver might be the path forward.

Note, its in Preview

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58228

Best Wishes, The Redman; If something helps, please help show it by voting, if it solves, bonus!

Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:46 PM
  • Unfortunately we are not targeting SQL Server 2019 yet.  We are currently targeting SQL Server 2017, so we need SSDT 15.8.0 and the Attunity drivers installed.  As well as the Oracle ODAC drivers.

The version numbers reported in VS2017 both in the app and in control panel are very confusing.  I can't seem to decode them!!

Friday, July 5, 2019 5:28 PM
  • VS2019 SSIS works with SQL 2017, and connects with Oracle... as always though.. BUT, it has preview all over it, but I have it up and running in a SQL2017 environment and sourcing from Oracle.  Currently working out if the new Microsoft Oracle driver replaces Attunity, or it just uses the Attunity driver for backward capability.  I'll post if you want when I have more solid platform.  Currently VS2019 didn't seem to recognise the TFS names in the Dev tool (does using Environment Variables and the SSIS engine), but it did allow direct input of the connection in the TFSName porperty.

Back to VS2017 though, to help out some version numbers below and installation method.

VS2017 V15.9.5 (would've been downloaded back in Feb), installed from a full "ALL" features download.  Installed it with a couple of non SSIS components first.

SSDT 15.8.0 offline install 

Run command line to create an offline install
    vs_sql.exe --layout e:\ssdtoffline --lang en-US
    THEN, copy ssdt-setup.enu.exe into ssdtoffline folder
    Ssdt-setup-enu.exe /layout e:\ssdtoffline

12vc Oracle drivers, 32 bit must go first if needed, then 64, Followed by Attunity 5.0

Version info

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 
    Version 15.9.5
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.9.5+28307.280
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.7.02046
    BimlExpress   1.0
    BimlExpress is a Visual Studio extension for editing and building Biml files.

SQL Server Analysis Services   14.0.1016.285
    Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Designer 
    Version 14.0.1016.285
    SQL Server Data Tools   15.1.61901.03220
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools
    SQL Server Integration Services   
    Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer
    Version 14.0.3002.113
    SQL Server Reporting Services   14.0.1016.285
    Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers 
    Version 14.0.1016.285
    SsmsVsIntegration   1.0

• Edited by GGoldspink Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:40 PM
    Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:38 PM
  • Thank you this is ultimately what worked.  I think I was getting hung up on the version of Visual Studio that was installed.  Even though the installer was SSDT 15.8.0, it would install the VS 15.9.13 shell.  And I didn't continue on to install the Attunity and ODAC drivers.  I've since tried all of that and it worked fine.

I would be interested in your assessment of the VS2019 drivers and whether they are a 1:1 replacement of the Attunity drivers.  So if you could post your findings later, that would be most helpful.  From what I've read, they should be a 1:1 replacement.

Monday, July 8, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Hi Shadowjig

So to get an understanding to your original problem, you could download the 15.8.0 and run the install (no offline shenanigans), just confusing finding the versioning.  So initial problem solved.

From what I've figured out in my adventures

In relation to SSDT, for VS2017 15.8.0 is the Oracle AND TERADATA connecting friendly version.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-2017

Mentions specifically SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 (as you could at a point in time install this for VS2019, change now noted at top of page) 

"Please use SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0) or the previous versions for designing SSIS packages that contain Teradata Source/Destination. SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 after 15.8.0 can’t design SSIS packages that contain Teradata Source/Destination by Attunity."

Notice only TeraData there.  Below is where I got my wires crossed.

If you then check out releases

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/release-notes-ssdt?view=sql-server-2017

Known issues are

• SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.1) doesn't support designing packages that contain Oracle/Teradata source/destination. Use SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 (15.8)

So I thought, 15.8.0.  Same was said for 15.8.2.

But. 15.9.0 switches to only Terradata

SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 higher than 15.8 doesn't support designing packages that contain Teradata source/destination.

And mentions for SQL2019, it uses a new driver, for SQL2017 or less use Attunity for Oracle per SQL version.  I saw Attunity drivers on the front page not for 15.9, and read the known issues for the later releases seeing Oracle and Terradata and jumped to conclusion my Oracle connections will not work with 15.9.  But in review, looks like they will (technically tested, see below).  I should have seen that Oracle dropped off the known issues, and they should have in Known issues for 15.9 "Does not work with Terradata"

With VS2019 I've now installed SSIS preview (updated 2 days ago), and have Oracles Attunity Driver ver 5 installed to work with SQL2017.  Of which it appears to work as expected.  The Microsoft Driver is only for SQL2019, and as far as I can tell it figures out the switch based on the project designation (SQL2017/SQL2019)

So I'm surging ahead atm with VS2019, Oracle Attunity Driver 5.0, SQL2017 projects

If you're connecting to Oracle, you should be able to update VS2017 to SSDT 15.9.x as the Oracle Attunity Connecter is no longer listed as a known issue.  And if anything the release says it will work.

VS2017 : If you're connecting to Terradata, you're stuck on 15.8 for VS2017

VS2019 : If you work off the logic of "known issues", VS2019 implies it will work with Terradata as the 1st and 2nd preview of SSIS Extension make no mention of Attunity Drivers not working for either Oracle or Terradata (though they have fixed issues on Oracle)

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SSIS.SqlServerIntegrationServicesProjects

Sorry for the wall of text, more for me as well to clarify where everything is.

• Edited by GGoldspink Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:25 AM I noticed one SQL/VS mistake, hopefully no more
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:22 AM