UAC and my applications on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have an application that accesses a local file in the application directory and also makes files there , now the problem that the application always requires the administrator privileges to access that local file , then if the user isn't the administrator the application will fail , and my application also is an auto startup application which makes things more complex, so is there any way to tell Windows that my application is safe and it can access that local file without the administrator privileges?

-----------------------

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:58 PM

Answers

• I believe you can go into tab Project -> Application Properties -> Application -> View Windows Settings to get the Application Manifest. Then change this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>
      <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
        <security>
          <requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
            <!-- UAC Manifest Options
                If you want to change the Windows User Account Control level replace the 
                requestedExecutionLevel node with one of the following.

<requestedExecutionLevel  level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
            <requestedExecutionLevel  level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
            <requestedExecutionLevel  level="highestAvailable" uiAccess="false" />

Specifying requestedExecutionLevel node will disable file and registry virtualization.
                If you want to utilize File and Registry Virtualization for backward 
                compatibility then delete the requestedExecutionLevel node.
            -->
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
      </trustInfo>

To this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>
      <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
        <security>
          <requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
            <!-- UAC Manifest Options
                If you want to change the Windows User Account Control level replace the 
                requestedExecutionLevel node with one of the following.

<requestedExecutionLevel  level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
            <requestedExecutionLevel  level="highestAvailable" uiAccess="false" />

Specifying requestedExecutionLevel node will disable file and registry virtualization.
                If you want to utilize File and Registry Virtualization for backward 
                compatibility then delete the requestedExecutionLevel node.
            -->
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
      </trustInfo>

for the line requestedExecutionLevel. And this may work on Win 7 but Win 8 has even tighter UAC control so this may not work on Win 8. I believe it works on Win 7 from previous posts I've read.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

Monday, October 22, 2012 1:00 AM