none
Acess 2016 can't display an empty form RRS feed

• Question

• How do I display an empty form in Access 2016 (desktop)?  My user needs to add a new record to the database but each time we access the form if fills with data and will not allow us to clear the fields, due to required entries?

Dick Patton

Monday, June 18, 2018 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I will move your thread to Access for Developer forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=accessdev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:11 AM
  • Hello Dick Patton,

If you want to open a form to add a record, you could specific DataMode as acFormAdd to open the form for adding record.

Such as 

DoCmd.OpenForm FormName:="Form1", DataMode:=acFormAdd

Best Regards,,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:36 AM
  • By default, Access will open the form to both display existing records (for editing or deletion) and allow entry of new records.  There are normally navigation controls at the bottom of the form to allow you to move from record to record, and also to go to a new blank record.  From what you've said, that is what you want to do.  You probably do not want to delete the existing records just to get a blank form to enter a new record.  Once those records are deleted, they're gone forever!

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:20 PM
  • If you want to use the form solely for inserting new records set its DataEntry property to True (Yes).  To save the record and show only a blank form again, add a 'Save Record' button to the form with the following in its Click event procedure:

Me.Requery

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:18 PM
  • Hi David,

What I do not understand is how you add records. On the basis of your description ("and will not allow us to clear the fields") it seems that you do it differently than it should ... Why would you want to clear fields? Or do you mean that you want to go to a new record so that empty fields are displayed? That is something different than clearing fields.

To add a new record you have to go to a new record. This can be done in different ways (with code or via the navigation buttons). To add a new record, clearing fields does not apply.

You do not have to go to a new record if the DataEntry property is set to True.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Hello Dick,

What's the current state of the thread? Is your issue resolved? Please feel free to let us know if your issue has any updates.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 22, 2018 9:46 AM