none
How to print using our printer (On-Premise) on Azure VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have 2 windows azure  VM running on windows 2008 and we connect to it via RDC, on our connection to RDC we enabled the printer device to grab the printer on our network so our windows azure VM can DIRECTLY print using our printer on premise. But we cant see our on premise printer on our VM.

Is this possible ?

Please help me asap !

Monday, September 17, 2012 12:32 PM

Answers

• RDC as I recall requires you to share the local mappings of the printer with the remote machine. Everything (I think) is looped back through the remote connection you estabalish so there shouldn't be any issue. You just need to add it to the remote machine.

Haven't tried this personally, so no guarantees.

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:10 PM
  • So I was just RDP'd into an instance of a service I was working on to troubleshoot an issue. And I noticed there were error messages in the system log relating to installing printer drivers. The printers in question were the local printer devices I had installed on the workstation I was RDP'ing FROM.

So I would check your VM and see if you are seeing simillar event messages, and if so, perhaps install the correct printer drivers on the VM manually. :)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:50 PM

All replies

• Is it possible to print from windows azure vm direct to our network printer (on-premise)

i tried to look at Windows Azure Connect but we cannot see the Windows Azure subscription from our management portal.

Is there's a way to have a direct connection from our VM by just sharing our pinter here ?

Please Help !

• Merged by Jiang Yun Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:13 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 6:54 AM
  • RDC as I recall requires you to share the local mappings of the printer with the remote machine. Everything (I think) is looped back through the remote connection you estabalish so there shouldn't be any issue. You just need to add it to the remote machine.

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:10 PM

That is not working. Yes i know that RDC can share the local printer but that doesnt work on windows azure platform

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:28 AM
  • Sorry, was only trying to outline what I could think of. In your original post you didn't identify all the steps you had taken.

Two other items I can think of are manually installing the drivers into the remote machine and checking to make sure your network printer doesn't require local domain credentials when attempting to authorize a connection. Not sure if the later would impact things or not, all depends on if the loop through connection is using your local workstation credentials or those on the remote machine.

If all else fails, you can try spooling the output to a file and downloading that to the local machine, potentially via a shared drive.

Another possible blocker is the port you're trying to connect on. Again thought, just a guess.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

On standard RDC connection you can just enable printer grabbling and your installed printer (on premise) will automatically  available on your remote machines. So no need to add printer.

On windows azure VM i think they are using a diffrent method on using printer on premise.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:43 AM
  • Any help ?

Anyone using VM and printing on their printer on premise ?

Please help asap !

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:44 AM
  • You need to let the cloud server and your printer join the same network by using either Windows Azure Connect or Virtual Network. If you have further questions, please post on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/WAVirtualMachinesVirtualNetwork/threads.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:02 AM
  • So I was just RDP'd into an instance of a service I was working on to troubleshoot an issue. And I noticed there were error messages in the system log relating to installing printer drivers. The printers in question were the local printer devices I had installed on the workstation I was RDP'ing FROM.

So I would check your VM and see if you are seeing simillar event messages, and if so, perhaps install the correct printer drivers on the VM manually. :)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:50 PM